Go Down

Topic: Ardunio Pro Mini Input lines (Read 2185 times) previous topic - next topic

sforsandeep

Hi, Im a little confused with the pins on Arduino Pro Mini. I found there are two Vcc and 2 GND pins on the board. At which where the input voltage and GND to connect. And to which GND and Vcc sensors or devices attached with the board to connect.

Also little more clarification requesting. Its regarding voltage limit or maximum/minimum voltage required for the Pro Mini (Or Nano) to work well. Something like is there is Good voltage  range for the board to work very well.

Also if I have a non regulated supply voltage of around 12v (Little higher sometimes), is that possible to directly connect to Vcc? Or do I need to drop the voltage to 5v using some regulator??

Noobian

Sep 19, 2017, 02:21 pm Last Edit: Sep 19, 2017, 02:32 pm by Noobian
Pro Mini has 4 GND pins, not 2. The ones on either side are simply placed for convenience, their function is the same. Both VCC pins are also having the same function but the one on the top side of the board is placed so that it could be powered using the FTDI cable.

Pro Mini needs a regulated 3.3V or 5V supply (depending on the model) on the VCC pin. If you're supplying unregulated power to the board, be sure to connect to the "RAW" pin and not to VCC. RAW pin can accept voltage up to 12VDC.

This documentation page had all the information you needed.

Then you have this diagram for help.

Make sure to google for such info and only when you don't get any answers you post here for help.

sforsandeep

Pro Mini has 4 GND pins, not 2. The ones on either side are simply placed for convenience, their function is the same. Both VCC pins are also having the same function but the one on the top side of the board is placed so that it could be powered using the FTDI cable.

Pro Mini needs a regulated 3.3V or 5V supply (depending on the model) on the VCC pin. If you're supplying unregulated power to the board, be sure to connect to the "RAW" pin and not to VCC. RAW pin can accept voltage up to 12VDC.

This documentation page had all the information you needed.

Then you have this diagram for help.

Make sure to google for such info and only when you don't get any answers you post here for help.
Thanks a lot for that details. That means I can input the power lines 5v and GND to the top side VCC and GND pin.. isnt it?

Noobian

Sep 19, 2017, 06:34 pm Last Edit: Sep 19, 2017, 06:34 pm by Noobian
That means I can input the power lines 5v and GND to the top side VCC and GND pin.. isnt it?
Yes if your Pro Mini is a 5V variant.

May I ask what's your source for that 5V?

Wawa

Also if I have a non regulated supply voltage of around 12v (Little higher sometimes)
Unregulated supplies are potentially bad for sensitive electronics.
Don't use.
Leo..

sforsandeep

Yes if your Pro Mini is a 5V variant.

May I ask what's your source for that 5V?
Im using a chinese Ac 220v to 5v 700 ma 3.5w converter as the power supply. Is that fine

Noobian

Sep 20, 2017, 11:36 am Last Edit: Sep 20, 2017, 11:37 am by Noobian
I don't think so. Those are usually crude converters with just 2 capacitors , a full bridge rectifier and a step down transformer.

Please post the link of the product so that we can see if it will do the job or not.

Safe bet is to use your Phone charger USB supply.

MarkT

Decent branded phone-charger supply is the way to go I think.  Anything cheap and unbranded connected
to 240V is to be treated as live in my book.  And beware cheap and branded (could be fake)...
[ I DO NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them unread, use the forum please ]

Go Up