Arduino Uno can't find drivers and ports

Hi, I'm a newbie to Arduino. I have a genuine Arduino Uno board but I have a problem with it. :frowning:
The drivers of the arduino couldn't be installed. PLEASE HELP!!!
These are things I saw:

• The Tools> Port option in the Arduino IDE 1.8.4 is grayed out(can't click on it).
  • In the Device Manager, The Arduino Uno shows in 'Other Devices'.The driver status in the Arduino Uno properties says "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28) "
  • The updation wasn't working-I saw the message :"The system cannot find the file specified"

I was trying to solve the problem for the last 15 hrs. I couldn't find a solution. Always getting the same message after every updation attempt.
HERE is my PC specs:

• Processor:-Intel(R)Core(TM)i3-3200 CPU @3.30GHz
  • RAM:-6.00 GB

The pics are in the attachment
Can any one help me? :sob: :cry:

Arduino_showing_in_other_devices_and_Code 28_error.PNG

Arduino_Driver_problem.PNG

Maybe its a clone board that needs the CH340 drivers.

1 Like

Thank you for the reply Sir.
I think it's a clone board like you said. but installing the CH341SER driver didn't help.
The driver status still shows Code 28 error. And I am stuck with my project :sob:

Can you post a decent picture of the chip just behind the USB port. (yours is quite a poor pic.)
Nobody here really cares if its a clone or not we just like to help fellow arduino users.

It does sort of look like an FTDI chip in which case the CH340 drivers wont help.
Although it really should work out of the box if that's the case there have been cases where getting the driver from FTDI themselves seems to have helped.

I have attached the pic.
How do I check the type of chip?. :-\ And if it is FTDI, which driver should I download for it? There are a lot of Drivers in the list- VCP, D2XX, D3XX.

The writing on that small square chip tells you what it is. (still not a perfect picture)
It does look like an ATMEL so it should have been good right out of the box.

However there have been a lot of reports of the ATMEL 8u2 failing over the last few months.
Its unsure as to exactly how but seems to be linked to input voltages of 12 volts or higher on the power jack or shorts in bad wiring by users.

If it has failed then the board is mostly useless unless you have an ICSP programmer in which case there is often plenty of life left in the boards.

ICSP programmers are an almost essential bit of kit for Arduino users and I have at least 4 kinds here.
They are also useful to re-load bootloaders on most boards too and are exceptionally cheap from China.

The chip shows ATMEL MEGA 16u2
These uno boards looks similar to that of mine:
Amazon-Arduino Uno R3(Atmega16U2)
Amazon-Arduino Uno R3 Compatible Electronic ATmega328P Microcontroller Card.

I thought their would be only software or driver problems.
So how do I make sure, the board has failed or not?. If it's failed what do you suggest, buy a new Arduino or get ICSP programmers?

If it has failed then both a new board and an ICSP programmer.

As I said it is a great addition to your arduino toolkit.
Also try keep the input voltages below or around 10 volts on the power jack as that will keep your boards happy too.

Ok, before I dump this board, Is their anything that I can do to confirm that it's failed?

If the computer does not see it and a loopback test does not work it does not mean throw it away.
As I already said there is still a chance of life after death with Arduino boards via ICSP.

Hello again.
Actually The problem is with my COM & LTP ports in windows 10.
when I plug this same board into another PC(Windows 7) with Arduino driver installed, it shows the Device in the COM & LTP ports without any additional configuration.

So, I don't understand..
what's the problem with my Windows 10 pc??
should I install any other drivers to get this COM ports?

OK so it works 100% on another computer.

So its down to your computer.
Make sure its NOT a USB 3.0 port issue as Arduinos have been known to fail on USB 3.0.
Ensure DRIVER enforcement is OFF.
For testing turn OFF antivirus or similar software.
Ensure you don't have any other terminal software or phone sync type software running.

It sounds to me like the Arduino drivers haven't been installed... For one with 16u2, you want the official arduino drivers.

Everything is correct-
It's USB 2.0,
Tested after turning off Driver enforcements,
No anti-viruses and usual softwares are running.
And I have the the official Arduino driver.
Still does'nt work on my pc. but it does work on virtual box when I setup the necessary things.
But in my pc, it doesn't shows COM ports. And shows a Code 28 error!

There is something not right about your win 10 box.

Here is what I see on win 10 in device manager.

10 desktopv2.jpg

And in opening the COM section I see these.
Which are a clone UNO and a real MKRZERO

10 com and lpt.png

Either it has been badly set up, is locked down in some form (borrowed from a school or a corporate box), Or somebody has been playing with settings and has trashed some.

My honest suggestion is fix your box first before trying to use the board.

10 desktopv2.jpg

10 com and lpt.png

Since you have Windows Enterprise, your IT department may have configured Windows to prevent driver installation. This is to prevent users from accidentally installed malicious software such as ransom ware.

So reinstalling windows can change the problem. right?
or Is there any windows patch to fix this problem?

Can any one find why Ports(COM & LPT) not shown in my windows system?

There are a multitude of reasons why you are not seeing things that should be there.

Too many to spend time here trying to fix.

From one of my prev posts "Either it has been badly set up, is locked down in some form (borrowed from a school or a corporate box), Or somebody has been playing with settings and has trashed some."

There is no simple "patch" for any of those items mentioned.
Worst case scenario on a badly set up box or one that has been messed with is a complete re-install of the OS.
In the case of a locked down box that would be between you and your IT admin to sort out especially if it involves bitlocker at all.