Go Down

Topic: connected arduino to my PC and my PC isn't working now (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

CASPERobot

Hi everybody,

i connected my arduino to my pc through a serial port while I had a 6V supply on the arduino power pins.

My PC shut down suddenly and now it won't turn on again.

Any ideas?  :(

slipstick

I plugged something in and now it doesn't work isn't really enough to diagnose anything.

Details please. What sort of PC, laptop/desktop, Windows/Mac/Linux? Version? Exactly what sort of serial port? Any error messages? What exactly happens when you try to power on?

Steve

CASPERobot

laptop with windows 10. I plugged in the USB (the normal AB USB cable) from the arduino to the laptop. Now it's simply not doing anything. It's dead.

pwillard

This has nothing to do with Arduino.  The same thing would happen if you attached a 12V Battery to your USB Power rail.  Take your PC in for repair.

westgate

"while I had a 6V supply on the arduino power pins" - What Arduino are you using and which power pins did you connect the supply to?  vIn? or 5v? Photo or diagram might help - it sounds like you avoided the regulator and fried your PC, but it would still be helpful to understand why.

jremington

You have a "ground loop".

Please do not double post.

DVDdoug

:(  Bummer!

You motherboard is probably blown and it's probably not worth repairing.     Changing a motherboard yourself on a laptop is not easy (and there's risk of damaging something else).

I'm surprised that 6V would hurt your computer, and I'm especially surprised that it would completely kill it...   Maybe it was a static discharge.

You're talking about the DB9 RS-232 COM port, right?  RS-232 data can go +/-15V, so 6V wouldn't hurt it (if it's properly connected).   USB is 5V, but I'd be surprised if 1V over would kill it.

Is there any chance that you connected AC power?   ...Maybe you bought a cheap 6V power supply off eBay maybe it's not properly isolated from the power line?  Or, maybe your 6V power supply is simply defective?

Southpark

Hi everybody,

i connected my arduino to my pc through a serial port while I had a 6V supply on the arduino power pins.

My PC shut down suddenly and now it won't turn on again.

Any ideas?  :(
Which power pinS? Note the plural, as you indicated more than 1 pin.

Go Up