Go Down

Topic: Vanishing COM-Port during Upload (Read 975 times) previous topic - next topic

chriscross

Hi everyone,

I've got a Arduino Pro Micro 3,3V and some problems with uploading code.

Whats working:

Connecting the Pro Micro to PC, seeing it in the IDE/Tools-Section including the port, uploading Blink.ino (LED=17) and doing a manual reset (shortening GND and RST twice) during upload - then, and only then the code is uploading to the board and work fine.

Without manual resetting during upload, the COM-Port displayed in the Tools-section (COM6) is vanishing and no COM-Port is found, so the upload ends with an error. With manual resetting a new COM-Port (COM5) is found and used. In the Tools-section stay the COM6 displayed. Every time at uploading the same game:

Erzwinge Reset durch öffnen/schließen mit 1200 bps auf dem Port COM6
PORTS {COM6, } / {} => {}
PORTS {} / {} => {}
PORTS {} / {} => {}
PORTS {} / {COM5, } => {COM5, }
Found upload port: COM5

Any ideas to get the automatic upload working?

hammy

Oct 27, 2017, 08:06 pm Last Edit: Oct 27, 2017, 08:08 pm by hammy
Have you seen this :

(Think it  might depend on the hardware you use for upload to generate the reset ?)

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/ArduinoProMini#toc5

chriscross

Which hardware for the reset? Just a wire between the GND- and RST-PINs...Or do you mean the board itself? Its a blue „Arduino Pro Micro 3,3V 8 MHz Atmega32U4 Micro USB (compatible Nano)" from the french eBay-Trader zone314. The trader refers to the Sparkfun datasheets. I use a addional URL for the boardmanager to get the Pro Micro displayed in the board list.

The link you provided says nothing to me - I just dont get the point?

One more thing: after every try to upload a sketch without manual reset the error „unknown USB device" reappears and the COM-Port displayed in the Tools-Section is then greyed off.

ballscrewbob

Please supply a direct link to the board or a decent picture of both sides of the board.
That will help people to really identify the board.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

chriscross

https://www.ebay.com/itm/arduino-pro-micro-3-3volts-8mhz-atmega-32u4-micro-usb-compatible-nano/182145978430?hash=item2a68bf103e

ballscrewbob

Its nothing to do with the NANO just to clear that point up.

Looks like a clone pro micro and not one of the mis-named Chinese pro micros.

That sounds like it would leave you with a few other things to try.
Not all micro USB cables are the same so make sure its both SYNC and POWER not just power.
Cables can go bad at any time so try more cables.
Try avoid USB 3.0 and stick with 2.0 where possible.
Turn off any additional security just for testing as some software has been seen to cause issues with uploads.
Watch out for Driver Enforcement under win 8 to 10 as that has also been known to cause issues (better with it off for the Arduino installs.)

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

chriscross

Thanx for the hints! I will try this as soon as possible. But one another question. I reset the board following this instructions: https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/pro-micro--fio-v3-hookup-guide/troubleshooting-and-faq

Quote: „On Windows, the bootloader's COM port number is usually one number higher than the Pro Micro's regular port number."

That sounds exactly like in my case: upolading is only possible over the bootloader port (COM 6), but not the regular port (COM 5). And the IDE only see the regular port, not the bootloader port. Is this the normal behavior (hidden bootloader port)? Or should I see both ports in the IDE during reset?

ballscrewbob

it is possible to see both ports during an upload.
The IDE knows what to do in that scenario

There are a few boards that have "bootloader" ports such as the Leonardo and the MKR family.

You can force the bootloader port as per those instructions if the board becomes erratic because of a sketch or other reason.

If you have to resort to that method then usually uploading an example sketch such as BLINK or BARE MINIMUM can be helpful to clear a bad sketch.

Go Up