Go Down

Topic: The future of the Due? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Hahi

Now, after the production of the Due seems to be ended, it would be great to know if the Due will be supported in future versions of the Arduino IDE?

HermannSW

Oct 30, 2017, 06:22 pm Last Edit: Oct 30, 2017, 06:23 pm by HermannSW
I cannot answer on future IDEs.
But I want to question the statement "production of the Due seems to be ended".
There are many suppliers selling "Arduino Due R3" and aliexpress.com
And all current versions of the IDE do support Due.
https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=462107.msg3236016#msg3236016
http://stamm-wilbrandt.de/en/Raspberry_camera.html

Hahi

I know that thereare third party products, so the near future will see some Due- related stuff. What i wanted to know is the general policy of Arduono in the case like this- when hardware production stopped. I only wonder how long they normally support hardware in the IDE. @Hermann:Are you part of the Arduino crew? I wander if we could get an official statement?

pert

This question has been asked in the past and I remember there was an official answer I believe from Massimo Banzi. It went something like "notice that the Arduino IDE still supports the "Arduino NG" which was discontinued long before the Due". I don't have time to dig it up right now. Clearly Arduino does not make a practice of dropping IDE support for discontinued boards.

Now the reality is that Arduino is not going to put development for discontinued hardware at a high priority. If you look at the commit history for the Arduino SAM Boards hardware package:
https://github.com/arduino/ArduinoCore-sam/commits/master
you can see there has not been much recent activity. I would expect that they will take action to fix breakage if that is necessary but will not be doing work to enhance the code. It's also possible that they will not invest a lot of effort to evaluating and testing pull requests from the community for enhancements. So I'd say if you are happy with the current level of support you have nothing to worry about but if you are looking for the support to improve then the community will need to take action, which could even mean resorting to a 3rd party fork of the hardware package if the Arduino developers are not responsive enough to pull requests to their repository.

artisticforge

Now, after the production of the Due seems to be ended, it would be great to know if the Due will be supported in future versions of the Arduino IDE?

Hello

I have nearly one of every arduino board produced.
i am looking at an Arduino Duemilanove, (no I can not pronounce it.)
Every board is still supported in Arduino IDE 1.8.5
><>

pert

i am looking at an Arduino Duemilanove, (no I can not pronounce it.)
Duemilanove != Due
They are two very different boards with only slightly similar names. If you mix the two up it will cause you lots of confusion.

artisticforge

Duemilanove != Due
They are two very different boards with only slightly similar names. If you mix the two up it will cause you lots of confusion.
Hello

This is true.
The Due and Duemilanove are very different boards.

I was just pointing out that many of the long discontinued Arduino boards are still supported in the Arduino IDE.

I have both the Due and the Duemilanove. Which I have been reminded is Italian for 2 and 2009 respectively.

Due  == Two
Mila  == Thousand
Nove == Nine
><>

pert

OK, I understand now. I misread your post as someone confused about the difference and considering purchasing the Duemilanove but now I see exactly what you mean and it is actually elaborating on my previous reply. It's nice that Arduino doesn't shun their historic boards. The old ones are probably collectors items by now!

weird_dave

It would be odd to stop supporting older boards, it would negate the point of having open source hardware, for me at least.

Go Up