Go Down

Topic: Arduino UNO R3 died.. ? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

caseyryan

I've got an Arduino UNO board (to be exact it's a chinese clone called just UNO). This is it
It worked perfectly until today. It just failed right after I plugged it in to the USB port of my laptop.
The LEDs marked as ON and L (on the above image) light up immediately when the power is on and nothing works. The board itself is detected by device manager on COM17 as usually, I also select the correct board version Arduino/Genuino UNO in Arduino IDE. When I try to upload any sketch, I get this
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x5d
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x5d
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x5d
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x5d
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x5d
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x5d
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x5d
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x5d
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x5d
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x5d
And when I try to burn bootloader it smply says "Error while burning bootloader"

It's definitely not a problem with my PC or drivers. The problem is in board itself. I'm totally confident about that.
The loopback test does not give any responses.

I know there's already many similar cases but I haven't found any solution there. Any ideas?  ::)

DrAzzy

What was being done with it prior to it's failing? (ie, did it fail before you connected it)?

Is any part of it getting hot?

Do the TX/RX leds flicker when you attempt to upload?

Is anything else connected to the board? If you have anything connected to pin 0, 1, or reset when uploading that can interfere with uploads.

When you press reset, does the light blink (indicating the bootloader is running?)
ATTinyCore for x4/x5/x61/x7/x8/x41/1634/828/x313 megaTinyCore for the megaavr ATtinies - Board Manager:
http://drazzy.com/package_drazzy.com_index.json
ATtiny breakouts, mosfets, awesome prototyping board in my store http://tindie.com/stores/DrAzzy

caseyryan

Oct 31, 2017, 03:09 am Last Edit: Oct 31, 2017, 03:20 am by caseyryan
What was being done with it prior to it's failing? (ie, did it fail before you connected it)?
I was connecting NRF24L01 + PA + LNA Wi-Fi module and trying to upload RadioHead test sketch to it (not for the first time, actually, but it worked with no problems before). The module itself was not powered from the Arduino, it was powered with DC adapter via 3.3V voltage regulator. The polarity and all connections were exactly according to the manual. I always double check things like that before powering anything up. The GND of wi-fi and arduino were common. The Arduino board failed before I tried to upload anything
Is any part of it getting hot?
Nope, absolutely cold.
The voltage regulators on the board also work fine
Do the TX/RX leds flicker when you attempt to upload?
No, nothing flickers at all. The board shows no reaction to any upload attempts
There is also no reaction to RESET button.
The board just looks this way all the time while it's connected

caseyryan

Oct 31, 2017, 07:31 am Last Edit: Oct 31, 2017, 07:37 am by caseyryan
I'm not a pro at electronics, I'm just learning, but after a few hours of testing, looking at the schematic for this board and comparing to other boards' test values, I think the crystal resonator (16Mhz) has died. This one

Another quartz resonator (12Mhz) is attached to USB to UART interface and according to the schematic it switches between X1 and X0 legs of the device. I've measured voltage there and it's present. While this (16 MHz) is attached to Atmega328's XTAL2 and XTAL1 legs

and there's no voltage from either leg going thru the resonator even though if I get voltmeter and short either of these legs to the ground, there's about 5 Volts on each.
May this be the case? Or am I terribly wrong with this? I'm not sure if I have understood its operating exactly.
Unfortunately I don't have a replacement for the crystal right now, but I'll try to find one if someone who understands it much better than me tells me if I might be right with this or not :)

p.s. This is the complete schematic for this board.

caseyryan

Oct 31, 2017, 09:45 am Last Edit: Oct 31, 2017, 09:51 am by caseyryan
Ok, the topic is closed. The real problem is found. Atmega328 has died. There's a short circuit between vcc and gnd. I don't know why this could happen, I didn't touch it with anything while it was working but anyway, it's gonna be cheaper and easier to buy a new board instead of fixing this one since it costs about 2 USD on aliexpress

DrAzzy

That is usually caused by:
Connecting external power to 5v pin or Vin pin with reversed polarity
Connecting an external voltage to any I/O pin when the arduino is not powered
Connecting an external voltage higher than 5v or lower than Gnd to any I/O pin.
ATTinyCore for x4/x5/x61/x7/x8/x41/1634/828/x313 megaTinyCore for the megaavr ATtinies - Board Manager:
http://drazzy.com/package_drazzy.com_index.json
ATtiny breakouts, mosfets, awesome prototyping board in my store http://tindie.com/stores/DrAzzy

Go Up