Go Down

Topic: bad questions... (Read 7066 times) previous topic - next topic

darthclueless

An example?

Sure: only today, a student who had a load of help from other members with their assignment, asked the mods to remove the thread, so that their teacher wouldn't see it.

I think that ticks (checks, for the Atlantically-challenged) both "lazy" and "wilfully stupid" boxes don't you?
...this is a forum about help from the outset by it's own concept and design, it does not matter if you are from the far East or Hitler was your father, or if you are wilfully stupid or your boxes don't fit AWOL's logic boxes.

Did you know, or think the student was from the first world with class A teaching, or from the 3rd world and needs supporting?

I still say as a forum member of near a year that you are a grumpy crab and need a beer to chill you out :)

Put your beer on my tab and drink up!

DC

darthclueless

This is not a witch hunt, it's a beer hunt. Travis fill your glass and drink up.....before AWOL says no lol

CrossRoads

Travis, were you able to get the 2560 & programmer to verify correctly?
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

darthclueless

Travis, were you able to get the 2560 & programmer to verify correctly?
See, I see this as a 'geek on geek' thing! as such so as to throw us mortals outside their thinking?

CrossRoads, did you design and build a 2560 break out board?

Did your 2560 work? all 80 pins?

Would you like a beer?

slurp slurp, drunk up ;)

Delta_G

Did you know, or think the student was from the first world with class A teaching, or from the 3rd world and needs supporting?
Does it matter if he is a first world cheat or a third world cheat?  A cheat is a cheat and is just a despicable. 

There are lots of folks who come here for help that have done some work and are just stuck with a question or a line of code they don't understand.  Watch and note how most of those get what they need.  There are plenty of others like this cheat who will just be trolled.  Why not, they deserve it for being a cheat.  Then there are those who haven't put anything in at all and are wanting someone to explain the whole thing to them.  Why bother with those?  They aren't going to get it.  At least if we shame them a bit for asking stupid questions their eyes may be opened and they may be shamed into actually putting in some effort.  The ones that just get mad, well the reason they just get mad is because they don't have the mental capacity for this type of thing.  Any time spent helping them is a total waste.  At least we can have some fun for ourselves trolling them. 
|| | ||| | || | ||  ~Woodstock

Please do not PM with technical questions or comments.  Keep Arduino stuff out on the boards where it belongs.

CrossRoads

Yes I did, a couple of years ago.

I have a DIP version of the board as well.

It has similar Crystal/caps/resistor components on the bottom.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

Delta_G

as to throw us mortals outside their thinking?
This is the other thing.  Too many people think that there are some sort of super-coder experts around here.  And there are.  But I'll freely admit that 90% of the posts out there I am able to answer from nothing with one or two quick google searches and a minute or two of reading.  If the poster's problem is that they honestly don't understand then I'll help them.  If their problem is that they aren't trying then I can't help them so I poke at them to try to get them to go try.  In both instances my end goal is the same, to help them become capable. 

Ever see The Karate Kid?  Remember how Daniel got all pissed off at Mr. Miyagi for making him sand the floor and wash the cars and all that stuff.  And remember how Mr. Miyagi told him that the student should tell the teacher how to teach?  That's the real key to remember here.  Some of us have gone through it and we know how to learn it.  And if we're going to try to share it with you then we want you to learn it too.  And we're going to push you towards the path that leads you to learn, not necessarily the one that gets your particular project turned in on time.  Sometimes that means feeling ashamed of the fact that you didn't even try to read the documentation before you asked. 

Please do not PM with technical questions or comments.  Keep Arduino stuff out on the boards where it belongs.

Qdeathstar

I thought the ability to the snarky and a general c*nt to newbs was the reward for offering free advice. A that is not the case? Well f me.
A creaking creeping shadow
stiff against the freezing fog
glares at a tickless watch.

Time has failed him -- all things shall pass.

Delta_G

I thought the ability to the snarky and a general c*nt to newbs was the reward for offering free advice. A that is not the case? Well f me.
See you're making the same mis-representation of what we do here.  It's not about being that way to all the n00bs.  Just the particularly clueless, lazy, or stupid ones who in their own way sort of deserve it. 

Qdeathstar

I see you've never read one of Paul_S's posts (though often spot on, full of snark)
A creaking creeping shadow
stiff against the freezing fog
glares at a tickless watch.

Time has failed him -- all things shall pass.

Coding Badly

Nov 06, 2017, 05:56 am Last Edit: Nov 06, 2017, 08:11 am by Coding Badly
Just the particularly corrupt, clueless, lazy, or stupid ones who in their own way sort of deserve it. 
Cheating is a form of corruption.

The topic framed by @darthclueless: How should @AWOL respond to someone who is corrupt.  @darthclueless believes such a person should have their hand held.

ChrisTenone

The Arduino bar is today a sad place to come and drink.

You've linked many threads in this thread, Cross roads thread that he took the piss out of he never posted to help on?

This is NOT what MAKERS are ABOUT shame on you for being human.

DC

Makers are not the same as uncompensated teachers, combined with personal/academic/career counselors.

When people ask questions here, there is the possibility of getting the best help there is available for this topic. However, this forum represents a specific, large and complex database. Folks here have made the effort of defining the steps to take to get access to that help. It's all written in a post that is the first one in all the fora, and lots of people will help noobs find out how to ask questions. But when the supplicant does not work with the cognoscenti to get there ... Why is that on the teachers?

Are makers supposed to make folks feel good and do all the work? If so, then ... who'd want to do that?
What, I need to say something else too?

Robin2

See, I see this as a 'geek on geek' thing! as such so as to throw us mortals outside their thinking?
I don't think that is a reasonable comment.

Sure there are regulars here who may engage in some friendly banter - just like in any group of people.

But that does not mean any disrespect to a newbie looking for advice and who is prepared to learn,

To my mind there is a sense running through all of your posts that people here are expected to be perfect human beings. Such people don't exist anywhere. Nobody should be condemned for a single event that does not cause irreparable damage. And a whole Forum should certainly not be condemned because you happen to disagree with one person's interpretation of another person's Post.

Good "people" skills and good programming skills often seem to be mutually exclusive - and the world at large must allowance for that. And us programming folks must also be conscious of our shortcomings.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Henry_Best

To my mind there is a sense running through all of your posts that people here are expected to be perfect human beings. Such people don't exist anywhere. 
Although many think they are.
And I know I am.  :)

AWOL

Nov 06, 2017, 05:50 pm Last Edit: Nov 06, 2017, 07:49 pm by AWOL
OWAL...Macro zx good night! SMH!
The morning after a heavy night on the beers, I sometimes don't know what is worse - the hangover, or the embarrassment at reading back the junk that's been written

Did you know, or think the student was from the first world with class A teaching, or from the 3rd world and needs support
Well, my Antipodean friends all seem quite bright, so I assume teaching Down Under is pretty good.

Go Up