Go Down

Topic: PID autotuning a SSR (Read 944 times) previous topic - next topic

zeus2kx

Hi guys,
Can anyone of you direct me to a simple example showing autotuning of a PID driving a an SSR?

I have looked into Sous Vide example but I am looking for a simpler one.

Thanks.
Z

jremington

Nov 02, 2017, 07:42 pm Last Edit: Nov 02, 2017, 07:48 pm by jremington
PID tuning involves the entire process. The device used to switch the heater is not particularly relevant.

Every system is different and will in general require individual parameter sets. Google "PID tuning" for lots of tutorials.

zeus2kx

Thanks for replying.
I looked into some already.
But looking to understand "Auto" tune using some explanatory examples.

Regards,
Z

jremington

Nov 02, 2017, 08:04 pm Last Edit: Nov 02, 2017, 08:08 pm by jremington
Theory explained here: http://brettbeauregard.com/blog/2012/01/arduino-pid-autotune-library/ and many other places.

To understand it, you have to understand PID tuning first. As the author of the above blog states:
I'm not the biggest fan of Autotune. I've often said, and still believe, that a moderately trained person will beat an Autotuner every day of the week. There's just so much that can go wrong without the algorithm knowing about it. That being said, Autotune is a valuable tool to help the novice get into the ballpark.
I find PID tuning "by hand" to be quite straightforward and a very educational exercise.

zeus2kx

You are correct.
I was following this article for understanding.
Issue is, I can tune it if I am using it with a particular system but the parameters would change if I move the PID device to a different system.
That's the reason I am inclined towards implementing (or first testing) the autotune library.

zeus2kx

Nov 02, 2017, 09:39 pm Last Edit: Nov 02, 2017, 09:39 pm by zeus2kx
Any help with the simple implementation of autotune library will be highly appreciated.

jremington

Nov 03, 2017, 01:15 am Last Edit: Nov 03, 2017, 01:16 am by jremington
Post the code you have tried, along with a hand-drawn wiring diagram (not Fritzing) and sufficiently complete description of the entire physical system.

Describe what happened when you ran the code and how this differed from your expectations.

Go Up