Go Down

Topic: Verify Step Keeps failing - Can't Compile? (Read 737 times) previous topic - next topic

GeneralT001

Hi,

I'm using Arduino Environment 1.8.5 on a Win 10 machine.

I have been trying to verify this Nexdome.ino file before uploading it to the board but it is always failing. As far as I know the file is fine but it seems my computer my be the issue?

This is the error that keeps coming up:

Arduino: 1.8.5 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino Leonardo"

c:\program files (x86)\arduino\hardware\tools\avr\bin\../lib/gcc/avr/4.9.2/../../../../avr/bin/ar.exe: unable to rename 'C:\Users\TONYBE~1\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_806078\core\core.a'; reason: File exists

Using library AccelStepper at version 1.57.1 in folder: C:\Users\Tony Benjamin\Documents\Arduino\libraries\AccelStepper
Using library EEPROM at version 2.0 in folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\EEPROM
exit status 1
Error compiling for board Arduino Leonardo.

It seems like it wants to overwrite a file that already exists? I've tried running Arduino as Admin but it made no difference.

Any idea how to get past this?

I've attached the file as wll.

GeneralT001

OK,

I went in and deleted the file that it said id couldn't overwrite. I verified it and it worked and I was able to upload. Don't think this is the way its supposed to work?

OldSteve

Nov 11, 2017, 07:09 am Last Edit: Nov 11, 2017, 07:09 am by OldSteve
OK,

I went in and deleted the file that it said id couldn't overwrite. I verified it and it worked and I was able to upload. Don't think this is the way its supposed to work?
Ha ha. If it's working now, don't question it. (Why bite the hand that feeds you. ;) )
Please do not PM me for help. I am not a personal consultant.
And others will benefit as well if you post your question publicly on the forums.

OldSteve

Nov 11, 2017, 08:51 am Last Edit: Nov 11, 2017, 09:00 am by OldSteve Reason: Additional Info
You said earlier that it worked, if you deleted that file.

Granted I'm using an earlier version of the IDE, (V1.6.9), but your sketch compiles fine for me, and uploads to a Mega2560 without errors.
What operating system are you using? Is it possibly WinXP?

Edit: Sorry, I see it's Windows 10, (same as me), so your code should compile and upload without problems. I'm using IDE V1.6.9 on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. Maybe it's the later Arduino IDE causing the problem? Can someone else using IDE V1.8.5 verify this please?

Edit2: I just noticed - you're trying to upload to an UNO board. The code uses Serial1, so a Mega is required.

Edit3: You left out many of the errors, but if I set the board to "UNO" in my IDE I get many other errors plus:-
Code: [Select]
C:\Users\Steve\AppData\Local\Temp\NexDome\NexDome.ino:1505:13: note: in expansion of macro 'Wireless'

Wireless.println("c");

^

exit status 1
'Serial1' was not declared in this scope

An UNO doesn't have "Serial1", hence the errors.

And others will benefit as well if you post your question publicly on the forums.

OldSteve

Nov 11, 2017, 09:07 am Last Edit: Nov 11, 2017, 09:10 am by OldSteve
Wow, looking further, this is all over the place. Please post accurately if you really want help.

In your first post, the selected board was a Leonardo. Then, in post #3, you've selected an "UNO" board. No one can help you if you don't provide accurate information.

So, which board are you really using and what are the true errors?

Board selection makes a huge difference.
We all want to help, but no one wants to waste their time due to inaccurate information.
None of us are paid for this, we're just fellow users trying to help, so please supply as much accurate information as possible when you post.

Go Up