RTC PCF8523

Hello every body !

I'm using an "adafruit-data-logger-shield", with a PCF8523, and a MEGA 2560.
I'm looking for the bibli to use the alarm of the PCF !

Can somebody help me to find it please ?
Or an other solution to use alarm mode of the PCF...

Thanks.
Alan

Hi, and welcome.

Come on, it's really easy to get this information.

There may be people who do not like Adafruit.
But anyone has to admit that if there is a company that does a great job at supporting their products (along with any rip-offs there are), it is Adafruit.
Just type the brand and the product name in your favourite search engine like i just did, and you'll end up at this this result:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-data-logger-shield/overview (click !)

It's all there.
From complete schematics to examples on how to use it.

Thanks MAS3 !

I used it, of course...
Anyway, my data logger is ok, recording date and hour of the different events happened.

But my problem is :
When my controler is sleeping, I want to wake up it, at the next needed date.

So, I have to set up the next date/hour... and I haven't the good bibli to do that.

My adafruit uses a PCF8523 (RTC with alarm mode), and not a DS1307 (RTC without alarm mode), I thought that it's possible to do it with my adafruit datalogger and my mega ???

Looking for information... I found that the Zero can do that, with its internal RTC...

If you have a solution... thanks again.

Alan.

So, googled for "adafruit pcf8523 arduino", which comes up with this page.
Don't know if it covers wake up on a certain time.

But usually, waking up needs an interrupt.
The PCF8523 (8 pin version) has one pin (#7) which can set off an interrupt, that pin needs to be connected to an interrupt input of your Arduino, which in turn has to be programmed to use that pin for this function.

Googling on, i see there are some discussions on this here site about the PCF8523 and wake up.
So did you see those too and still nothing to use ?

Thanks again MAS3

I'll look at this information.
I'm just loading a library at this address : Arduino Playground - Rtc_Pcf8563 RTC Library
... I 'll try it and I 'll post the effect...

Best regards.
Alan.

1 Like

Sorry, I'm late to post my solution.

I was tired to look for a library for my PCF8523 / Adafruit data logger, where the alarm mode is possible (yes in my last post, it was a library for the 8563 not the 8523 !!!)...

So I wrote functions to directly communicate in I2C protocol.
Now the alarm of the PCF8523 is OK.

If somebody is interested, I'll post my solution.

Alan.

Hi AC040289, I have the same data logger from adafruit and am interested in using the RTC to control relays. I dont have any experience with RTCs other than the basic setup to fetch the time. I am thinking I might be able to create an alarm to control when the datalogger logs data and when to switch the relays. Do you know if I can use the RTC for these things? if so, could you share how you setup your alarm?

AC040289:
Sorry, I'm late to post my solution.

I was tired to look for a library for my PCF8523 / Adafruit data logger, where the alarm mode is possible (yes in my last post, it was a library for the 8563 not the 8523 !!!)...

So I wrote functions to directly communicate in I2C protocol.
Now the alarm of the PCF8523 is OK.

If somebody is interested, I'll post my solution.

Alan.

I'm very interested. I'm building my hown data logger with an external PCF8523 and i really need to use the alarm of my PCF to wake up my arduino (ESP8266)

hello ... can u send me the code of alarme with pcf8563 i want to try it ! thnx

Hi, has this issue been resolved? Dealing with the same problem.