Go Down

Topic: Need to drive a stepper motor through a driver (Read 623 times) previous topic - next topic

cutlass1972

I am VERY new to Arduino, just starting out. I could use some guidance.

I have a fairly large stepper motor and driver that I need to control with my arduino. All I need to be able to do is set an input high to dictate rotation direction, then feed pulses at a given rate to tell the driver to step.

Once again, I am very new to Arduino, and programming in general, but I am trying to learn. Can someone give me a bit of code that will accomplish what I need so that I can dissect it and learn?

Any assistance is appreciated in advance.

ardly

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley

jremington

Dec 08, 2017, 05:01 pm Last Edit: Dec 08, 2017, 05:01 pm by jremington
If you want to use an Arduino to control "something", google "arduino something" to find many solutions. Best to avoid Instructables, though, most of those are crap.

Robin2

I am VERY new to Arduino, just starting out. I could use some guidance.
It's hard to know what you want help with.

If you have already selected the motor and driver and need help with interfacing to to an Arduino then post a link to the datasheet for the driver.

If you are looking for help choosing a driver then post a link to the motor datasheet.

...R
Stepper Motor Basics
Simple Stepper Code
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

cutlass1972

The driver is a parker zeta4
https://www.parkermotion.com/literature/pg110_zeta_family.htm

Basically I just need some simple code to dictate whether I drive an output pin high or not (tell the driver which direction to go. And code to tell the arduino to drive an out put high and at what frequency, to tell the driver to step.

the driver only has 2 inputs that I am using. direction, and step trigger.

Robin2

the driver only has 2 inputs that I am using. direction, and step trigger.
The code in my link should get you started.

You may also want to look up the AccelStepper library

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

cutlass1972

Thank you Robin. I am working with the code. I can get the "Step" light to blink on the driver, but my motor never moves. I am thinking that I have some of the dip switches on the driver set incorrectly, or I need to adjust the code some. The Stepper motor emits a faint high pitched noise when I try the code against the driver.

If it helps, this is the stepper motor I am trying to drive:
https://www.applied-motion.com/products/stepper-motors/5023-168

jremington

Dec 08, 2017, 11:15 pm Last Edit: Dec 08, 2017, 11:15 pm by jremington
Are you powering the stepper driver/motor appropriately? Post links and a wiring diagram.

Robin2

I am thinking that I have some of the dip switches on the driver set incorrectly, or I need to adjust the code some.
I would not expect it to be necessary to modify the code - except to ensure that the correct I/O pins are used.

...R

Go Up