Go Down

Topic: Using Arduino to measure current or electron flow in earth (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Paul_KD7HB

This is what i meant in post 2.

In some locations mainly urban or industrial it is possible to drive spikes into the ground a few metres apart  and get enough current flow to light an incandescent bulb.

One project i was distantly involved with required an earth survey.
The results were unexpected , bloke doing the survey said this was precisely why these surveys are done.

This was mentioned in #4

The earths magnetic field protects us from the solar wind by deflecting the wind.
Google on Northern lights.
Without it i suspect that the only living species on Earth would be fish.  
Years ago I had a friend, dead, now, who was an engineer for the local electric power company. He told of having to investigate ground faults at electrical sub stations. Even wearing heavy rubber boots, he had to walk with tiny steps and feet close together to keep from being electrocuted from the potential difference between his feet. He had special tools to open the gate to the substation because of electrified fence.

Also the Dalles dam on the Columbia River can send power to Los Angeles via DC converter stations. The original design was to use 500,000 volts DC and use the ground for the return. Public fear and complaints when this was tested caused it to never be implemented. Every pipe in the ground, wells, and gas pipes, etc. all had hundreds of volts impressed from end to end, even when buried.

Paul

JohnRob

Regarding my response to the OP,  My goal was not to comment on whether or not I agreed with the basic tenant.  But to help them should they decide to continue.  Besides, I'm sure it they decide to pursue this there will be a lot learned.

I'm located in the US.  Our power systems are distributed as 3Ø.  Domestic systems have a neutral generated at the step down transformer and grounded to a local earth rod.   No current is meant to be carried by the ground (under normal conditions).

I was involved in some equipment to be used in EU(rope).  At that time I was under the impression the typical 240 VAC systems carried both a neutral and ground.  Hence the acronym PME (Protective Multiple Earthing).  But I could be wrong.

My reason for suggesting deep ground electrodes was based on an guess that surface currents are more  affected by the power grid than deeper electrodes.  I have no data to suggest this is true hence my statement of thoughts to consider.

What you are saying is clearly rubbish, which you would know if you bothered to get yourself a bit of education. Science has most of these concepts wrapped up and has found no evedance for the eyewash you have come up with
Not worth a comment

Please do not PM me with thread based messages.  If your thoughts are worth responding,  the group should benefit from your insight.

TomGeorge

Hi,
I calibrate some equipment designed to look for earth potentials and check ground resistance.

Some of our water boards require that their contractors have these devices, and test any pipe and gnd that they work on "onsite".

Plumbers to check for safety reasons, electricians to check for SWER (Single Wire Earth Return) ground conductivity.

Tom.. :)
Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running....

Go Up