Go Down

Topic: What are these pads on Arduino Duemilanove for? (Read 2247 times) previous topic - next topic

artvolk

Here is a photo of my Aruino Duemilanove clone, what are these pads (they exist on original board too):

Thanks in advance!

CrossRoads

Did you try checking for connections between them and other pads on the board with a multimeter?
I've thought about doing that, but never got around to it.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

artvolk

Haven't checked yet, but I checked Eagle board file -- it seems they are not connected anywhere.

graynomad

They might be fiducial marks used to help the pick & place machine find it's way around.

Normally there would be three of them though I think.
______
Rob
Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

artvolk

That's because board is double sided?

I can't find the third (can't look into Eagle board layout right now):

RuggedCircuits

They are indeed fiducials:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiduciary_marker#PCB

You only need 2 of them. Only 1 provides a known reference point (an "origin" so to speak). Two of them provides both reference points and information on whether the board has any rotation.

Sometimes more are used when there are super-fine-pitch parts that need extra care in placement, and then a "local fiducial" will be placed close to the part(s) so that there is even more accuracy in setting the reference point when placing that part.

--
The Aussie Shield: breakout all 28 pins to quick-connect terminals

artvolk

liuzengqiang

I read about these a while back, very neat!
Serial LCD keypad panel,phi_prompt user interface library,SDI-12 USB Adapter

spambake

There's a third partially hidden by the DC input.

Go Up