Go Down

Topic: A few questions about Arduino (Read 507 times) previous topic - next topic

TrevorC

Hello forum! I have a few questions about Arduino.

You see i am a programmer and a wish to get into robotics. I don't have a lot of experience but i do have determination. So i was thinking that i should buy an Arduino kit to get started. However i have a few concerns.

I know that Arduino is great for begginers and a very good tool for education, but i want to know, can someone also use it for more advanced projects as well? Is it only for learning or can one use it for commericial purposes? I don't plan on selling anything, i just want to know what are Arduino's limits.

The problem is that i don't have a high budget and if Arduino is only used to learn the basics of robotics, that means that if i wish to do something more advanced i will have to spend more money on something else. So is it worth it?

P.S Excuse me if that question sounds silly, but i really have no idea what should i do.

Thank you in advance!

AWOL

jremington

can someone also use it for more advanced projects as well?
Yes, very advanced projects.

TrevorC

Define "more advanced"
Is Arduino only used for education or can someone make useful projects with it?

TrevorC

Define "useful"
Able to be used for a practical purpose or in several ways. For example something that is not useful, is automatically lightning a small led. Something that is useful is making an automated fire extinguisher (or something easier).

CrossRoads

I make projects that are '328p/1284P/2560 based all the time. Sometimes they have a working project composed of several bits & pieces and maybe a board or two, and I combine it all into on.  Other times it is more of an idea, and I finish the idea and turn it into a '328p/1284P/2560 based project. You can do a lot with an 8-bit processor and a few chips where needed to drive/control other parts.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

dougp

You can see some projects folks have done in the Exhibition / Gallery topic.
Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real.  If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. - Niels Bohr

No private consultations undertaken!

AWOL

Able to be used for a practical purpose or in several ways. For example something that is not useful, is automatically lightning a small led. Something that is useful is making an automated fire extinguisher (or something easier).
The eight bit Arduinos are AVR microcontrollers in posh frocks.
How successful do you think Atmel would have been, pitching a whole family of products at only the educational market?

jremington

With the addition of a 9-axis sensor, you can turn the simplest Arduino into a guidance system for autonomous vehicles.

Go Up