Go Down

Topic: A friendly reminder (Read 325 times) previous topic - next topic

tinman13kup

Just a reminder to some who might not know or practice esd precautions, it's the season in the northern climates for static electricity.

With the single digit high temps around me, relative humidity is down under 20 percent. Yes, it might be amusing to zap the cat, but discharging into a circuit board or microchip can destroy components.

Grounding oneself before grabbing pcb's and components is a good practice to get into. It can also prevent having to figure out why something stopped working, even though it was brand new and just working.
Tom
It's not a hobby if you're not having fun doing it. Step back and breathe

terryking228

Hi,

Good point!  A good place to touch first on an Arduino is the metal shell of the USB connector.
Regards, Terry King terry@yourduino.com  - Check great prices, devices and Arduino-related boards at http://YourDuino.com
HOW-TO: http://ArduinoInfo.Info

larryd

For static problems, you can also spray carpets (especially new ones) with a mixture of fabric softener and water.

No technical PMs.
If you are asked a question, please respond with an answer.
If you are asked for more information, please supply it.
If you need clarification, ask for help.

aarg

That won't help with the asthma and sinus issues... what you really need is a humidifier. Most forced air furnaces have them, but they need periodic maintenance to work properly.
  ... with a transistor and a large sum of money to spend ...
Please don't PM me with technical questions. Post them in the forum.

tinman13kup

I'm currently using a woodburner to heat my house, which I try doing over the weekends to keep the LPG bill down. I normally set a pan of water on top and let it boil down, then add more.

I try to use " family friendly" language, but when I'm getting 1/2-3/4" arcs zapping me, I slip. The dog hates me now, and the cat just hides
Tom
It's not a hobby if you're not having fun doing it. Step back and breathe

Go Up