[Solved] Better File System

Hello all,

I've only been using Arduino for about two years now, but there are some suggestions I would like to

make for improving the overall IDE.

Suggestion 1: File Storage Location

I would really like to see a new version of the IDE that asks me where I want to save my sketchbook

and library folders. (You know, the one where Arduino tends to talk about himself in the third person

when the file doesn't exist? Yeah. That one.) For the most part, I run the IDE off of my flash drive, and

having to port all of my libraries to the Documents file of whatever computer I happen to be using is

really a pain, especially because my system administrator always wipes them when I log off (because

they aren't in my designated storage folder). This might also be helpful to people who want a more in-

depth subfolder organization system, or even to people who might just want everything right on the

desktop for easy access.

Suggestion 2: Specific File Name Systems

There have been a few times where I have wanted to run two versions of the IDE simultaneously on

the same computer so that I could use some outdated, unsupported libraries. However, when I tried to

open the older version, it simply ran the new one instead. I attribute that to the core files having the

same names, and the system just picked the newer of the two by default. I would suggest putting a

number or designation in the core file names for each new IDE, so that it will only run those files.

I do realize that this second one is unrealistic and time-consuming to implement, but I might as well

mention it while I'm here.

Thanks ahead for any time spent thinking about and hopefully implementing these!

-D.E.

DangerouslyExplosive:
asks me where I want to save my sketchbook

You can always just set it at File > Preferences > Sketchbook location.

DangerouslyExplosive:
and library folders.

That will always be relative to the sketchbook location. The Arduino IDE is intended to be beginner friendly. Adding a separate preference for libraries folder location adds complexity without providing any benefit.

DangerouslyExplosive:
For the most part, I run the IDE off of my flash drive

Are you using portable mode:
https://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/PortableIDE

DangerouslyExplosive:
There have been a few times where I have wanted to run two versions of the IDE simultaneously on

the same computer

If you're using Windows you just need to use the "Windows ZIP file for non admin install". On Linux the standard download is fine. I don't know about macOS. I have >20 versions of the Arduino IDE installed on my computer. Each folder has the version number in the name (e.g. arduino-1.8.5, arduino-1.8.4). If you're starting the Arduino IDE from a shortcut you just need to create one for each version and make sure it points to the right folder. The only difficulty is if you are starting the Arduino IDE by running a .ino file. There can only be one program associated with a file type. So you just need to start the IDE and then use File > Open or File > Sketchbook to open the sketch.

In standard mode the various IDE versions will share the same preferences and package folder (e.g. Arduino15). If this is not desirable you can run them in portable mode, as described in the link above.

Oh. Well that seems to cover everything... Thanks. I wouldn't have known any of that otherwise.

• D.E.