Go Down

Topic: Trying to build a throttle controller with rc servo motor (Read 875 times) previous topic - next topic

zogthegreat

Hi everyone!

I'm trying to find where I should be looking for information for a project that I want to do.

What I'm trying to do is control a throttle on a 6.5 hp motor with a carburetor like this:

I've seen examples of people using RC controllers to do this, but I want to use a hall effect throttle like the ones used on electric scooters. These have three wires, +5v, gnd and signal and are usually based on the UGN3503U chip.

http://www.futurlec.com/Others/UGN3503U.shtml

https://electricscooterparts.com/throttletestingguide.html

What I want to do is when the twist throttle is full open, the servo opens the throttle on the carburetor. When the twist throttle is closed, the carburetor is closed. But I would also like to have it do a gradient, just like it would on a cable.

I have "decent" coding skills and my son is an uber coder and software developer, so I'm not asking for someone to tell me how to do this. What I'm asking for is someone to point me to what I will need to learn in order to do this project.

Thanks!

PaulS

What I'm asking for is someone to point me to what I will need to learn in order to do this project.
You will need to learn to get data from the throttle. The first link suggests that the device is an analog device, so connect it to power, ground, and an analog pin. Use analogRead() to read the pin.

You will need to learn how to send data to the servo. There is a servo library that takes a value from 0 to 180, to move the servo, and examples to make the servo rotate back and forth between the upper and lower limits.

You'll need to learn how to connect the servo to the carburetor. That's not a programming issue, so I can't help you there.

You'll need to learn what range of values written to the servo result in the carburetor moving from fully opened to fully closed. That range of values will depend, to some extent, on how you connect the servo (what length arms you use, etc.) to the carb. In any case, it will require some experimenting to make the servo sweep example rotate the servo enough to fully open and fully close the carb.

Finally, you'll need to learn how to use  the map() function to map the range of values that you get from the throttle to the range of values that the servo can (or needs to) actually move to.
The art of getting good answers lies in asking good questions.

Go Up