Go Down

Topic: Forum Feature Request: Signature line image url tags (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

travis_farmer

Coding Badly

Code: [Select]

Cache-Control:max-age=0

Nice choice for cache-control!

Coding Badly

@travis_farmer, would you like your site to be at tjfserver.net instead of tjfserver.ddns.net?  (Drop the "ddns".)

If "yes" I have a suggestion that is very cheap ($12 per year including the domain name).

travis_farmer

@travis_farmer, would you like your site to be at tjfserver.net instead of tjfserver.ddns.net?  (Drop the "ddns".)

If "yes" I have a suggestion that is very cheap ($12 per year including the domain name).

at present, not right now. lack of funding, and site stability are still issues. i will keep it in mind though. besides, my ISP actually stated that i would have to get a commercial DSL account if i had a full domain name associated with the server. the difference between that and the DynDNS i have now is beyond me. ;)

~Travis

Coding Badly

What I have in mind is, quite literally, a replacement for ddns.net.  You would be replacing them with a different Dynamic DNS service; one that includes Dynamic DNS (and privacy) with the cost of the domain name.

...my ISP actually stated that i would have to get a commercial DSL account if i had a full domain name...
Is that part of the agreement?

(That sort of bullshit is why Net Neutrality is actually important.  As long as you don't exceed the agreed-upon data-rate it should be (mostly) none of their business what goes over the wire.)

travis_farmer

What I have in mind is, quite literally, a replacement for ddns.net.  You would be replacing them with a different Dynamic DNS service; one that includes Dynamic DNS (and privacy) with the cost of the domain name.
Hmm, it would depend on if my WiFi router had the support for it. it had built in support for ddns.net. i will have to look at the config for it later. i am charging my laptop battery after a live radio test. the router is in my basement workshop and i have to connect to it directly to configure it.

but if as you say it is a Dynamic DNS, and it is compatible with my router, i would be interested.

Is that part of the agreement?

(That sort of bullshit is why Net Neutrality is actually important.  As long as you don't exceed the agreed-upon data-rate it should be (mostly) none of their business what goes over the wire.)
yup, DynDNS subdomain is ok, primary domain is a commercial account. not sure where a Dynamic primary domain fits in... ;)

~Travis

Coding Badly

Register the domain name...
https://domains.google.com

Follow the instructions...
https://support.google.com/domains/answer/6147083?hl=en

Configure your router to forward port 80 (and 443) (which you've already done).

Enjoy.  The whole process took me less than four minutes!

If you are using Linux, ddclient (latest version) is dead simple to configure.  (I don't know if ddclient is available for Windows.)

If you use ddclient, the router only has to perform port forwarding; the router is not used to maintain the IP address.

travis_farmer

Register the domain name...
https://domains.google.com

Follow the instructions...
https://support.google.com/domains/answer/6147083?hl=en

Configure your router to forward port 80 (and 443) (which you've already done).

Enjoy.  The whole process took me less than four minutes!

If you are using Linux, ddclient (latest version) is dead simple to configure.  (I don't know if ddclient is available for Windows.)

If you use ddclient, the router only has to perform port forwarding; the router is not used to maintain the IP address.

how does ddclient know what my outside IP is without the router?

~Travis

travis_farmer

how does ddclient know what my outside IP is without the router?

~Travis
DOH... just figured it out. it doesn't have to. it just sends the credentials, and the DNS figures it out. :D

~Travis

Coding Badly

Exactly.  When the update request is sent to Google Domains it knows your internet facing IP address because that address is part of the TCP protocol.

Go Up