Go Down

Topic: Turn a board on and off (Read 410 times) previous topic - next topic

nabilg

Hi there,

I plan to use an Arduino board for a personal project : building dynamic direction indicators lights for my car (a 2004 Rover 25/Streetwise).

They currently use usual bulbs, controlled by a flasher unit.
I want to implement a few LEDs, controlled by a small board (e.g a nano), to loop on each diode and turning them on dynamically.
The board would be powered by the original wires but I'm wondering if it is appropriate to power on and off the board and so on, just like a bulb do, each time I activate an indicator. I don't want to damage the board, by powering the board on and off too frequently.

Thank you !

artisticforge

Hi there,

I plan to use an Arduino board for a personal project : building dynamic direction indicators lights for my car (a 2004 Rover 25/Streetwise).

They currently use usual bulbs, controlled by a flasher unit.
I want to implement a few LEDs, controlled by a small board (e.g a nano), to loop on each diode and turning them on dynamically.
The board would be powered by the original wires but I'm wondering if it is appropriate to power on and off the board and so on, just like a bulb do, each time I activate an indicator. I don't want to damage the board, by powering the board on and off too frequently.

Thank you !
I am not sure where you are located but your really need to check on a few items.

Will your vehicle insurance company allow you to modify the original safety equipment on the vehicle?
Turn signals are safety equipment.
If you have vehicle inspections in your area, will the modification pass the vehicle inspection?

Do you have the necessary insurance coverage to cover the event of litigation of design negligence
in the event of a vehicle accident?

I can understand your desire to build a nifty project, but modifying a vehicle tends to be a "bad" idea.
It puts your financial future at risk.

><>

nabilg

Thank you for your answer.

I live in France, so both French and EU law apply. That's right, there is probably some legal ou insurance-related issues that I shoud consider. I was wondering if changing turn signals would be a problem, even if they are still compliants. Maybe I shoud take care of that.

Otherwise, do you think it is bad to power an arduino board on and off very often ?

artisticforge

Thank you for your answer.

I live in France, so both French and EU law apply. That's right, there is probably some legal ou insurance-related issues that I shoud consider. I was wondering if changing turn signals would be a problem, even if they are still compliants. Maybe I shoud take care of that.

Otherwise, do you think it is bad to power an arduino board on and off very often ?
I personally would not be turning the arduino board on and off like a turn signal.
i would have the Arduino turning a MOSFET on and off which is what controls the LED strips being used for turn signals.

><>

PaulRB

I personally would not be turning the arduino board on and off like a turn signal.
I think what the OP is saying is that there may be no permanently-on supply available, only the intermittent power to the indicator bulb.

If so, there would be the problem of the Arduino bootloader. That takes part of a second before your sketch begins to run, each time power is switched on. As the power will only be on for around 1s each time, that's too long. So I would suggest using a bare Atmega or Attiny chip and programming it using SPI so that no bootloader is needed. I don't think the bare chip would be damaged by frequent on/off cycles, provided it only draws minimal current. But this is not something I am expert in, so a second opinion would be desirable.

I think I would consider an attiny25/45/85 and a tpic6B595 to drive one or more group of 8 LEDs.

nabilg

Ok thank you for your answers :)

Go Up