Arduino uno not recognized on device manager (device descriptor request failed)

Good day, I'm a total newbie with arduino stuff so if anyone can help me that would be great!

So, early today the arduiono was fine I could upload and run the code (basic led stuff) during that time I might have connected the pins on the wrong holes but the board was still fine then I started to try making a way to switch on my computer using the arduino with a button I had the ground from the button to the PWR- of the computer and a 5v wire connected to the PWR+ I used a 9v DC Adapter for this since the computer was quite far.

[How I wired it]

Here's where things started to go kinda downhill (I think).

So, the board got quite hot so I cooled it down for a while. When I went back to change some codes the computer stopped recognizing the board and when I checked device manager it says "(device descriptor request failed)" So I tried running the last project I uploaded and it still works but I can't connect it to my PC.

Tried

• Changing USB port
  • Changing cable
  • Using other PC
  • Reinstall Arduino

Nothing worked

I read some article about the problem from "It's broken" or "bootloader" or "Uninstalling".

Any help would be great

Sorry for the bad english

ASean___'s picture:

It got hot? And now it gives device descriptor request failed? You damaged the hardware, order a new one. Arduino boards (especially official ones and clones with 16u2 serial adapter - the cheap clones with alternative serial adapters are somewhat harder to destroy) are fairly easy to trash the USB on if you do things that end up abusing the power rails (including connecting an excessive voltage to an I/O pin - it gets backpowered at an excessive voltage, which is a highly effective way to damage parts).

What are PWR+ and PWR-, exactly?

Thanks for the reply!

After reading some articles about it (I might be wrong) I "could" have damaged the serial chip not really sure but if it was the case could I just buy a usb to tll and use that to upload?

But if its not possible then is there still any use in keeping this arduino? Since it can still power up led and still has my last project.

PWR + and PWR- are the pins found on motherboard the one connected to the front IOs

Yeah, all signs are that that's what you've damaged. It is usually the weakest link. Plug it into power and feel the opamp after a few minutes, and make sure that isn't heating up (it's the part in SOIC-8 package; if there are several, just feel them all - no part should get hard). Also feel the 16u2 - if it's heating up, that means it's pulling (and wasting) a lot of current from the USB port.

If either of those is getting hot, you need to remove the part or cut the traces going to it.

If the opamp is blown, external power and the pin13 LED won't work - the opamp is replaceable at home with difficulty (i would probably put some no clean gel flux on the pins, dual wield soldering irons, both with a nice blob of leaded solder on them, and rest them at a low angle across the pins, so the tip hit all of them at once - then once the part was off, clean it up with soldersucker, braid, etc, then put in the new one).

Anyway - you can use an external serial adapter, but only once you've cut the serial lines going to the dead 16u2 (as noted, you may also need to cut power to it if it's getting hot), and the line from the reset pin to the cap on the DTR line, and replace it with a 0.1uf cap between the DTR line of your external serial adapter and the reset pin on the Arduino board.

It's sort of funny how the boards come with the '328p in a socket, while the easiest part to trash is in a QFN SMD package that you can't replace without hot-air rework station, and the second easiest part to trash is an SMD part that's akward to replace!

Anyway, you do know that clone arduinos are super cheap, right?