Go Down

Topic: HC-05 addresses not standard, no connection/discovery (Read 355 times) previous topic - next topic

dp0013

Hi all,

I just got two HC-05 modules and can not see them via my phone or pair them with each other. I can issue commands via Arduino IDE Serial Monitor to both successfully, but when I issue "AT+ADDR?", I get these:

14:3:00000 (where the last 5 are numbers, but just masked here)
14:3:0000X )where the 0s are numbers and X is a letter).

These are NOT the standard Bluetooth address protocols and I can't figure out why I can't obtain the standard ones.  Anyone?

ieee488

I can issue commands via Arduino IDE Serial Monitor to both successfully
How do you know this?

dp0013

Good question.  Every document, tutorial, and even the datasheets with instructions I've been able to find reference a standard 90:C3:43:5T...-type format.  Indeed, even by using Bluetooth Terminal, I can't see either device with just power connected to them.  I did see that their "Class" was default set to 0, but not sure if this would be an issue or not as no documentation or tutorial I've referenced has mentioned the need to change this setting in the AT Command terminal.

Wawa

I just got two HC-05 modules and can not see them via my phone
Which phone.
IIRC fruit phones do not work with HC-05.

You should be able to pair with the HC-05 by just connecting 5volt and ground to the module.
Nothing else.
Leo..

dp0013

I'm using a Samsung J-7 Android.  However, I don't want to to be able to use my phone with it; the end goal is to pair the two modules and have them communicate with each other, but if I can't even see them to begin with, then there must be an issue with the modules, right?   :smiley-sad:

dp0013

How do you know this?
I know they are communicating with the AT Command Mode because I've successfully connected and communicated with both modules via the AT commands in the Arduino IDE Serial Monitor while the boards are hooked up to the Arduino boards.  I can "AT+BIND" the address of one to the other (slave to master), but it fails to pair or link every time.  I can't even get the lights to blink on either board faster than one blink every 2 seconds, which tells me neither is actually trying to link with any other BT device.

TomGeorge

Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running....

dp0013

Hi Tom!  lol! That's the first link I used and yes, one Master and one Slave. I followed Devjan's steps to the T....no joy.  I ordered two new HC-05 modules and am going to test them tomorrow when they arrive.

ieee488

I can "AT+BIND" the address of one to the other (slave to master), but it fails to pair or link every time.
Does sending that command give you a response?

dp0013

Yep!  I get a OK when I bind the slave address to the Master, but that doesn't = actual connection or link or pairing between the two modules.  Does that mean the address is, in fact, valid, though? 

dp0013

Also, when I use "AT+BIND?" on the Master, it returns "BIND: 14,3,00000" (last 5 are all numbers), which is the address the slave gave me.  (my bad, I should have included that in my first response to your question!)

dp0013

Hi all,

Just wanted to provide a final update for this.  The 2 new HC-05s I ordered (NOT from DSD Tech, who STILL has yet to reply to my request for support after nearly 72 hours now!!!) arrived this morning.  I plugged them into ground and 5V and immediately was able to see them via my phone.  I was also able to obtain a proper (correct) address for one of them and successfully bound the slave to the master.  I then successfully got the two talking to each other (determined by the blink pattern on both; I haven't gotten actual results yet but I believe that is due to my code having errors, not the modules themselves).

One possible problem with the first two modules I tested from DSD-Tech: I left the "EN" left plugged into 5V when I was trying to get them to communicate with each other, so that may have caused the problem.  Not sure if that would  also affect the erroneous address I was getting back from the AT command mode, or the fact I couldn't see them on my phone, but it's possible. 

Thanks to all who contributed!

Go Up