Go Down

Topic: UNO DFU connection problem (Read 5392 times) previous topic - next topic

macro110

I am having trouble getting my UNO into DFU mode. Linux and Windows detect the standard driver (2341:0001) but whenever I follow the procedure to try and get the uno into DFU mode the ID does not change and I cannot use the dfu-programmer. I know the m328p still works because I can use the ICSP to upload a hex file.

I have tried connecting to the 8u2 with the ICSP but keep getting device not responding. At this stage I'm thinking I might have a dead 8u2 but if it was dead would it still be installing in Windows and Linux?

Does anyone have any other tips for connecting to the 8u2 via ICSP or DFU?

mellis

Do you have the regular (through-hole 328) Uno or the Uno SMD?  What procedure are you following to put it in DFU mode?

Try our new tutorial here: http://arduino.cc/en/Hacking/DFUProgramming8U2

chingasman

total problem
my uno is fine and it is stuck in the "LOOP"
i can't get it into DFU

i love my uno and i need it fixed
great time for a firmware error. 
i cannot believe it

can we get some help with this UNO situation

macro110

Thanks for the info Mellis. My UNO is a regular (not SMD).

I have been trying the short RESET, short HWB, release RESET, release HWB.

Tried your tutorial but still no luck. The UNO will simply not go into DFU mode. This is quite annoying since I can still program the 328 with ICSP but I just wont receive any serial data back to computer.

I have also tried connecting pins 1 and 2 to a serial port on the computer but all I get is jibberish not what I programmed the 328 to print.

mrtaylor

I got a new smd Uno today so I decided to play.  The first Thing I did was upload blink.  The second I uploaded a do nothing but print loop.
void setup() {Serial.begin(9600);}
void loop() {Serial.print("test");}

Yes, I was trying to do this.  no more uploads, ide not responding.

First I try reloading the bootloader with a tinyusb. no luck.
I started search the web found some instructions that worked for me.

Here my take on it.  See Reply #10
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,52076.0.html

I reload the bootloader again after that, not sure if I needed to.  It fixed the tight loop print problem and now my Uno is working great.
I reloaded the firmware several times (for testing) and it worked fine each time. 
Now I want the original firmware for the 82U back so I can play( I mean test) some more.

mellis

macro110: you need to connect HWB first, then connect and disconnect reset, then release HWB.  That is, you need to reset the 8U2 while the HWB pin is grounded.

macro110

Mellis: I thought that might be the case since the chip resets as soon as you short the RESET pins so I tried that as well but again no luck. Followed the tutorial you sent me about using a 10K resistor across the HWB pads on the back of the uno and it was also uneffective. I've exhausted all my avenues and I think it's time to give up and buy another UNO.

Thanks very much for the help anyway.

macro110

One last question, I have noticed that the RESET-EN pads on my uno are actually connected by a bit of solder. Is this supposed to be the case? I make sense to me that these shouldn't be connected because when you short them it should reset the board (which is currently not happening when I short these pads)

chingasman

i have success in updating the firmware by following the link posted by mellis. i have my blinking led back and can move foward with some new stuffs.

mellis

macro110: what did you do with the 8U2 and an ISP?  It's possible that removed the DFU bootloader from the 8U2.  You should be able to reupload the firmware to the 8U2 with an ISP (both DFU bootloader and USB-serial firmware).  There are combined firmwares here: https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/tree/master/hardware/arduino/firmwares and instructions in the readme.txt.  Make sure the board is powered when you do that.  It's probably worth trying a bit more the ISP. 

mikemack

http://www.avrfreaks.net/index.php?module=Freaks%20Files&func=viewFile&id=3842&showinfo=1 this link would have saved me allot of trouble, these are signed drivers for windows 7 64b

pluggy

Feb 18, 2011, 06:33 am Last Edit: Feb 18, 2011, 06:40 am by pluggy Reason: 1
One last question, I have noticed that the RESET-EN pads on my uno are actually connected by a bit of solder. Is this supposed to be the case? I make sense to me that these shouldn't be connected because when you short them it should reset the board (which is currently not happening when I short these pads)

Leave it be.It controls the auto-reset function which is necessary to be able to upload sketches easily.  It disconnects the auto reset function if you break it, it doesn't reset if you make the connection (thats what the button is for). There are non destructive ways of disabling the autoreset, should it be necessary (using serial communication with certain pieces of software).
http://pluggy.is-a-geek.com/index.html

macro110

Mellis: with the ISP I tried to reupload the firmware. Followed instructions from README.txt on the link you sent but all I get when I use avrdude is this

avrdude: AVR device not responding
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions
avrdude: Device signature = 0x000000
avrdude: Yikes! Invalid device signature.
avrdude: Expected signature for AT90USB82 is 1E 93 82
avrdude: NOTE: FLASH memory has been specified, and erase cycle will be performed
              To disable this feature, specify the -D option

avrdude done. Thank you.

mellis

Which ISP?  How was it connected?  Was the board powered at the time?

macro110

I'm using DAPA I think I have connected it correctly because I can use this cable to program the mega328p successfully. I have tried powering it with both the USB cable and external power source. Both ways successful with the Mega328p but unseccesful with Mega8U2.

Go Up