Go Down

Topic: How to read serial data from Non-contact Ultrasonic liquid level sensor  (Read 4893 times) previous topic - next topic

Squeeto

First- thank you to koblaevans for starting this and to wvmarle for making it work.

I just got my sensor and it seems to be flawless when you dip it in water and it works quickly with silicone grease under a plastic bucket with water.

Propane is another story.  When I first stick the sensor on (stick because the grease grabs hold of the sensor quite well) I sporadically get a reading but then it goes back to outputing 0mm.

I wonder if it only listens to a reflection that "sounds" like it is going through water?

Has anyone got it to work with a propane tank?

wvmarle

Most likely at least one of the problems is the thickness of the propane tank itself.
Quality of answers is related to the quality of questions. Good questions will get good answers. Useless answers are a sign of a poor question.

Squeeto

I tried a few things:
water in pot, 1cm base - fail
water in tin can - pass
water in aluminum pot, thin base - pass
paint in metal can - fail
paint in plastic can - fail

Base thickness does matter.
But because the paint cans failed, I still wonder if the sensor is matched to a water medium only.

A quick wiki read says that sound wavelength but not frequency changes in different mediums but why does a bell rung under water change frequency?

IDK, maybe I have a bad sensor.

wvmarle

Density and viscosity of the medium all affect the wavelength.
A bell rung under water will have a harder time vibrating due to the higher viscosity of the fluid it's in, so frequency goes down.
Quality of answers is related to the quality of questions. Good questions will get good answers. Useless answers are a sign of a poor question.

edimazrekaj

Hi, I have this sensor too and it worked for a week. But after a week being attached to the tank with its liquid it doesn't work anymore because the liquid became solid. Now the sensor is not giving me any values. Anyone knows how to solve this problem?
P.S. I need the sensor to be always attached on the tank! Thanks

Go Up