Project: 3 nema stepper motors and 5 sensors

Hi,

I have another post running for building a Actautor.
But what im trying to build is a machine that moves about 5 kg of paper (sliced in 16 parts W=32 x L=92 x H=75 mm per slice ) from 1 side to the other.
Then my actuator have to push out 1 sliced part for about 200mm. The arm wil then move for 1 slice width to the right then the actuator puches that slice out ezv. ezv.
See attachment for a drawing.

Because im new to arduino what is the best hardware solution for accomplishing this?
Also having in mind that i'm not so good in programming (yet).

A have 4 dvr8825 driver boards. Is an CNC shield something that i can use?
CNC shield

Also i will use about 5 sensors (IR and momentary) for end stops.

Also i think i should use accelstepper.h liberary for controling al this with 1 arduino uno?
Is this a smart move?
Don't want to put a lot of energie in something that maybe later it have to be changed.

So want to make a good start with hardware as with software.

Hoop someone can give me some advise in all of this.

tnx

oohh the nema 23 specs: NEMA 23

And the nema 17:NEMA 17

OPs image so we don't have to download.
See this handy image guide.

check! tnx!

This Simple Image Guide is newer and shorter :slight_smile:

The CNC shield should be suitable as all of the motors seem to be within the capabilities of the DRV8825.

...R
Stepper Motor Basics
Simple Stepper Code

i got the motor running normally with the simple stepper code.
Also i have read stepper motor basics a few times.

So u think a cnc shield is a good option? can they be programmed the same... like using accelstepper.h?

Kumalix:
So u think a cnc shield is a good option? can they be programmed the same... like using accelstepper.h?

A CNC shield is just a convenient holder for the stepper drivers. You just need to know which Arduino I/O pin corresponds to which pin on each stepper driver. That should be clear from the shield datasheet.

...R

Watch out for the torque needed - as small a sprocket as possible is needed I think for that load, the
linear friction load could be in the 10 to 30N range which is a lot for a belt drive from NEMA17. Expect
to do some experimentation on this, I'd suggest got for the highest torque NEMA17 and something like
a 14 tooth sprocket.

For the liniear motion (left to right) i wil use a NEMA 23 with 1 N/m.
In the picture i accidentally swapt the to motors.

so ACTUATOR = NEMA 17 40 N/cm
and Linearmotion = NEMA 23 1 N/m

Found out that 1kg of push/pull motion was needed to move the paper.

Just need to test it all.

Is it posible to connect a LCD to a CNC shield? That would be nice to be able to show the current speed of the linear motion and the actuator.

tnx

Kumalix:
Is it posible to connect a LCD to a CNC shield? That would be nice to be able to show the current speed of the linear motion and the actuator.

The connections for all the stepper motors will use up a lot of the Arduino pins so there may or may not be enough remaining for an LCD display. Also the time taken to write data to the display might interfere with the smooth running of the motors.

I suggest you start by just displaying data on the Arduino Serial Monitor. Keep things as simple as possible to start with.

...R

ok, tnx!