Go Down

Topic: ESP13 WIFI Shield - "espcom_upload_mem failed" (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

ieee488

Are you blinking the LED on the shield or on the Uno?

Juraj

Arduino Uno WiFi is Arduino Uno in this case. only difference in configuration of Uno WiFi and normal Uno is OTA upload support with specific firmware in esp.

you can't upload to esp8266 on the shield over Uno if the shield is attached. use an USB to TTL adapter connected to esp8266 RX/TX on the esp header on the shield. (you could use the Uno as USB adapter but not with attached shield, but only with jumper cables to connect RX to RX and TX to TX)

1Pats

Juraj, thank you for your response
Is it means that I still cannot access ESP? I guess DIP switches should manage target.
What is "USB to TTL adapter". As I had wrote - no sockets on ESP13 shield.
Unfortunately today had no time to do further investigations. Will do it tomorrow.
Do you have a hint what I should try next?

ieee488

Juraj, thank you for your response
Is it means that I still cannot access ESP? I guess DIP switches should manage target.
Unfortunately today had no time to do further investigations. Will do it tomorrow.
Do you have a hint what I should try next?
You really should learn how to Google better.

https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=420550.0

Juraj

Feb 19, 2018, 07:34 am Last Edit: Feb 19, 2018, 09:09 am by Juraj
the dip switches turn off the serial connection between Atmega and esp to not to disturb uploading over USB and Serial to Atmega

1Pats

Thks for a hint. Looks like, I had missed it in my Google excavations. Will try..

Juraj

Feb 19, 2018, 09:17 am Last Edit: Feb 19, 2018, 09:28 am by Juraj
Arduino 5 V USB to TTL adapter, but you need a 3.3 V version

headers

you can work with the shield like with a module, connecting the required pins RX/TX, power and ground with jumper cables. for power connect the 5 V pin of Uno to coresponding pin on the shield.  with cables you can use SoftwareSerial in Atmega to connect to the shield

1Pats

Feb 19, 2018, 10:54 am Last Edit: Feb 19, 2018, 11:06 am by 1Pats
Ok, I see.
Trying to translate this, and info what I got from link,  to  terms understandable by me (as I wrote, I am not familiar with electronics)
1) I need to buy  USB To Serial TTL converter 3,3V version. On AliExpress this is, for example, this one and do wiring as explained in linked info
2) Better is not to use UNO, but plug ESP13 shield to Mega, as in this case extra serial channel might be used to communicate with shield.
My interpretation is right?

Juraj

Ok, I see.
Trying to translate this and info what I got from link  to  terms understandable by me (as I wrote, I am not familiar with electronics)
1) I need to buy  USB To Serial TTL converter 3,3V version. On AliExpress this is for example this one and do wiring as explained in linked info
2) Better is not to use UNO, but plug ESP13 shield to Mega, as in this case extra serial channel might be used to communicate with shield.
My interpretation is right?
In point 2 you can use SoftwareSerial with Uno if you leave the shield detached and connect it with jumper cables. There are many examples and tutorials how to connect an esp8266 module. You can connect the jumper cables to shield bottom pins RX, TX, 5V and ground. and on Uno you connect 5V and ground on the corresponding pins, but as RX, TX you connect for example pins 10, 11 with SoftwareSerial in code.

Go Up