Go Down

Topic: Self balancing robot using NEMA 17 stepper motors (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

a9n1s

Hi!
I'm working on a self balancing robot project.
I have two NEMA 17 motors and I was wondering if they are powerful enough for this project.

These are the specs:

Model Number:          17HS13-0404S1
Nominal Voltage:       12  Volts
Current Rating:          0.4  Amps
Wattage                  4.8  Watts
Coil Resistance:     30  Ohm
Holding Torque:    26 Ncm
Inductance:           37 mH

Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated!

a9n1s

Hi!
I'm working on a self balancing robot project.
I have two NEMA 17 motors and I was wondering if they are powerful enough for this project.

These are the specs:

Model Number:          17HS13-0404S1
Nominal Voltage:       12  Volts
Current Rating:          0.4  Amps
Wattage                  4.8  Watts
Coil Resistance:     30  Ohm
Holding Torque:    26 Ncm
Inductance:           37 mH

Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated!

Robin2

How much torque is required to keep the robot upright?

Without knowing that it is impossible to answer your question.

There is a simple idea for measuring torque in Stepper Motor Basics but it may be difficult to apply it to a robot.

Trial and error is required, I suspect. Or finding a similar robot on the internet that you could learn from.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

ezequielandrush

hello!

You say the motors have 26 Ncm  of holding torque. It means that at a distance of 1 cm from the motor axis It can hold a counter force of 26 Newtons (2.5 kilograms aprox). The torque is halved as the distance is doubled, so a 2 cm it will be 1,25 Kg and at 4cm 0.625 kg.

I guess you'll have to take some weight measures.

I hope I have helped

Zeke

a9n1s

Thanks for the help, Zeke!

vinceherman, I'm new to this forum. Is there a problem with posting the same question in 2 different places? If there is, I apologize.

vinceherman

Feb 19, 2018, 04:33 pm Last Edit: Feb 19, 2018, 04:34 pm by vinceherman
Is there a problem with posting the same question in 2 different places? If there is, I apologize.
Yes.  There is a sticky post at the top of each forum named How to use this forum, please read.

You should read through it.  It contains a lot of helpful information for new forum members like yourself.

That post describes why cross posting is bad.  This is the text from that sticky post:
Don't cross-post!

We know you are anxious to get an answer to your problem, but re-posting the same question to multiple parts of the forum causes duplicate effort, and divides the focus on your problem. You'll get a better answer if everyone can discuss it in one place. Cross-posting is very annoying; the moderators will delete your extra posts, and you will get a warning. Save all the hassle, and just post the question once. It will be noticed.

If you aren't sure what section to post in (Programming Questions, Electronics, etc.) make a guess. Don't cross post "just in case".
I see that the threads have been merged.  I look forward to seeing how your project progresses.
Oh, pics.  I like to see pics of the projects.  So I am putting in my request now.  :)

Go Up