Self balancing robot using NEMA 17 stepper motors

Hi!
I'm working on a self balancing robot project.
I have two NEMA 17 motors and I was wondering if they are powerful enough for this project.

These are the specs:

Model Number: 17HS13-0404S1
Nominal Voltage: 12 Volts
Current Rating: 0.4 Amps
Wattage 4.8 Watts
Coil Resistance: 30 Ohm
Holding Torque: 26 Ncm
Inductance: 37 mH

Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated!

Hi!
I'm working on a self balancing robot project.
I have two NEMA 17 motors and I was wondering if they are powerful enough for this project.

These are the specs:

Model Number: 17HS13-0404S1
Nominal Voltage: 12 Volts
Current Rating: 0.4 Amps
Wattage 4.8 Watts
Coil Resistance: 30 Ohm
Holding Torque: 26 Ncm
Inductance: 37 mH

Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated!

How much torque is required to keep the robot upright?

Without knowing that it is impossible to answer your question.

There is a simple idea for measuring torque in Stepper Motor Basics but it may be difficult to apply it to a robot.

Trial and error is required, I suspect. Or finding a similar robot on the internet that you could learn from.

...R

hello!

You say the motors have 26 Ncm of holding torque. It means that at a distance of 1 cm from the motor axis It can hold a counter force of 26 Newtons (2.5 kilograms aprox). The torque is halved as the distance is doubled, so a 2 cm it will be 1,25 Kg and at 4cm 0.625 kg.

I guess you'll have to take some weight measures.

I hope I have helped

Zeke

Don't cross post.
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=530146.0

Don't cross post
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=530148.0

Thanks for the help, Zeke!

vinceherman, I'm new to this forum. Is there a problem with posting the same question in 2 different places? If there is, I apologize.

a9n1s:
Is there a problem with posting the same question in 2 different places? If there is, I apologize.

Yes. There is a sticky post at the top of each forum named How to use this forum, please read.

You should read through it. It contains a lot of helpful information for new forum members like yourself.

That post describes why cross posting is bad. This is the text from that sticky post:

Don't cross-post!

We know you are anxious to get an answer to your problem, but re-posting the same question to multiple parts of the forum causes duplicate effort, and divides the focus on your problem. You'll get a better answer if everyone can discuss it in one place. Cross-posting is very annoying; the moderators will delete your extra posts, and you will get a warning. Save all the hassle, and just post the question once. It will be noticed.

If you aren't sure what section to post in (Programming Questions, Electronics, etc.) make a guess. Don't cross post "just in case".

I see that the threads have been merged. I look forward to seeing how your project progresses.
Oh, pics. I like to see pics of the projects. So I am putting in my request now. :slight_smile: