How to correct the frequency on AD9851 DDS?

Hello friends!

Excuse my small Arduino knowledge. I was trying to fix these issues with no luck :frowning:

first of all, this code would give me a max of about 46.6661MHz true output freq (measured by the O'scope) and 69.999.999Mhz indicated on the LCD but the AD9851 allow up to 70Mhz which I want
so long story short the LCD indicated frequency is not the same as the measured one

Help is really appreciated

Here is the Code, Cridets goes to it writer :wink:

/*
Main code by Richard Visokey AD7C - www.ad7c.com
Revision 2.0 - November 6th, 2013...  ever so slight revision by  VK8BN for AD9851 chip Feb 24 2014
*/

// Include the library code
#include <LiquidCrystal.h>
#include <rotary.h>
#include <EEPROM.h>

//Setup some items
#define W_CLK 8   // Pin 8 - connect to AD9851 module word load clock pin (CLK)
#define FQ_UD 9   // Pin 9 - connect to freq update pin (FQ)
#define DATA 10   // Pin 10 - connect to serial data load pin (DATA)
#define RESET 11  // Pin 11 - connect to reset pin (RST) 
#define pulseHigh(pin) {digitalWrite(pin, HIGH); digitalWrite(pin, LOW); }
Rotary r = Rotary(2,3); // sets the pins the rotary encoder uses.  Must be interrupt pins.
LiquidCrystal lcd(12, 13, 7, 6, 5, 4); // I used an odd pin combination because I need pin 2 and 3 for the interrupts.
int_fast32_t rx=10; // Starting frequency of VFO
int_fast32_t rx2=1; // variable to hold the updated frequency
int_fast32_t increment = 10; // starting VFO update increment in HZ.
int buttonstate = 0;
String hertz = "10 Hz";
int  hertzPosition = 5;
byte ones,tens,hundreds,thousands,tenthousands,hundredthousands,millions ;  //Placeholders
String freq; // string to hold the frequency
int_fast32_t timepassed = millis(); // int to hold the arduino miilis since startup
int memstatus = 1;  // value to notify if memory is current or old. 0=old, 1=current.

int ForceFreq = 1;  // Change this to 0 after you upload and run a working sketch to activate the EEPROM memory.  YOU MUST PUT THIS BACK TO 0 AND UPLOAD THE SKETCH AGAIN AFTER STARTING FREQUENCY IS SET!

void setup() {
  pinMode(A0,INPUT); // Connect to a button that goes to GND on push
  digitalWrite(A0,HIGH);
  lcd.begin(16, 2);
  PCICR |= (1 << PCIE2);
  PCMSK2 |= (1 << PCINT18) | (1 << PCINT19);
  sei();
  pinMode(FQ_UD, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(W_CLK, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(DATA, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(RESET, OUTPUT); 
  pulseHigh(RESET);
  pulseHigh(W_CLK);
  pulseHigh(FQ_UD);  // this pulse enables serial mode on the AD9851 - see datasheet
  lcd.setCursor(hertzPosition,1);    
  lcd.print(hertz);
   // Load the stored frequency  
  if (ForceFreq == 0) {
    freq = String(EEPROM.read(0))+String(EEPROM.read(1))+String(EEPROM.read(2))+String(EEPROM.read(3))+String(EEPROM.read(4))+String(EEPROM.read(5))+String(EEPROM.read(6));
    rx = freq.toInt();  
  }
}

void loop() {
  if (rx != rx2){    
        showFreq();
        sendFrequency(rx);
        rx2 = rx;
      }

buttonstate = digitalRead(A0);
  if(buttonstate == LOW) {
        setincrement();        
    };

// Write the frequency to memory if not stored and 2 seconds have passed since the last frequency change.
    if(memstatus == 0){   
      if(timepassed+2000 < millis()){
        storeMEM();
        }
      }   
}

ISR(PCINT2_vect) {
  unsigned char result = r.process();
  if (result) {    
    if (result == DIR_CW){rx=rx+increment;}
    else {rx=rx-increment;};       
      if (rx >=70000000){rx=rx2;}; // UPPER VFO LIMIT
      if (rx <=1){rx=rx2;}; // LOWER VFO LIMIT
  }
}

// frequency calc from datasheet page 8 = <sys clock> * <frequency tuning word>/2^32
void sendFrequency(double frequency) {  
  int32_t freq = frequency * 4294967296./180000000;  // note 180 MHz clock on 9851. also note slight adjustment of this can be made to correct for frequency error of onboard crystal
  for (int b=0; b<4; b++, freq>>=8) {
    tfr_byte(freq & 0xFF);
  }
  tfr_byte(0x001);   // Final control byte, LSB 1 to enable 6 x xtal multiplier on 9851 set to 0x000 for 9850
  pulseHigh(FQ_UD);  // Done!  Should see output
}
// transfers a byte, a bit at a time, LSB first to the 9851 via serial DATA line
void tfr_byte(byte data)
{
  for (int i=0; i<8; i++, data>>=1) {
    digitalWrite(DATA, data & 0x01);
    pulseHigh(W_CLK);   //after each bit sent, CLK is pulsed high
  }
}
void setincrement(){
  if(increment == 1){increment = 10; hertz = "10 Hz"; hertzPosition=5;} 
  else if(increment == 10){increment = 50; hertz = "50 Hz"; hertzPosition=5;}
  else if (increment == 50){increment = 100;  hertz = "100 Hz"; hertzPosition=4;}
  else if (increment == 100){increment = 500; hertz="500 Hz"; hertzPosition=4;}
  else if (increment == 500){increment = 1000; hertz="1 Khz"; hertzPosition=6;}
  else if (increment == 1000){increment = 2500; hertz="2.5 Khz"; hertzPosition=4;}
  else if (increment == 2500){increment = 5000; hertz="5 Khz"; hertzPosition=6;}
  else if (increment == 5000){increment = 10000; hertz="10 Khz"; hertzPosition=5;}
  else if (increment == 10000){increment = 100000; hertz="100 Khz"; hertzPosition=4;}
  else if (increment == 100000){increment = 1000000; hertz="1 Mhz"; hertzPosition=6;} 

else{increment = 1; hertz = "1 Hz"; hertzPosition=5;};  
   lcd.setCursor(0,1);
     lcd.print("           ");
   lcd.setCursor(hertzPosition,1); 
   lcd.print(hertz);
   delay(250); // Adjust this delay to speed up/slow down the button menu scroll speed.
};

void showFreq(){
    millions = int(rx/1000000);
    hundredthousands = ((rx/100000)%10);
    tenthousands = ((rx/10000)%10);
    thousands = ((rx/1000)%10);
    hundreds = ((rx/100)%10);
    tens = ((rx/10)%10);
    ones = ((rx/1)%10);
    lcd.setCursor(0,0);
    lcd.print("                ");
   if (millions > 9){lcd.setCursor(0,0);}
   else{lcd.setCursor(1,0);}
       lcd.print(millions);
    lcd.print(".");
    lcd.print(hundredthousands);
    lcd.print(tenthousands);
    lcd.print(thousands);
    lcd.print(".");
    lcd.print(hundreds);
    lcd.print(tens);
    lcd.print(ones);
    lcd.print(" Mhz ");

timepassed = millis();
    memstatus = 0; // Trigger memory write
};

void storeMEM(){
  //Write each frequency section to a EPROM slot.  Yes, it's cheating but it works!
   EEPROM.write(0,millions);
   EEPROM.write(1,hundredthousands);
   EEPROM.write(2,tenthousands);
   EEPROM.write(3,thousands);
   EEPROM.write(4,hundreds);       
   EEPROM.write(5,tens);
   EEPROM.write(6,ones);   
   memstatus = 1;  // Let program know memory has been written
};

Please tell us how long ago your scope was calibrated?

Paul

If you added some prints, you could find the problem yourself.
It's unlikely anyone else has your exact hardware.

Doskiii90:
Hello friends!

Excuse my small Arduino knowledge. I was trying to fix these issues with no luck :frowning:

first of all, this code would give me a max of about 46.6661MHz true output freq (measured by the O'scope) and 69.999.999Mhz indicated on the LCD but the AD9851 allow up to 70Mhz which I want
so long story short the LCD indicated frequency is not the same as the measured one

Try the attached library (in the ZIP file). It supports the AD9851 and also provides for calibrating the 30 mhz crystal to WWV or some other standard.

ad9851.zip (2.79 KB)

Paul_KD7HB:
Please tell us how long ago your scope was calibrated?

Paul

I doubt that a scope could be so far off as to read 47 MHz when 70 was expected.

In fact, my first thought would be some kind of integer overflow or wrap-around causing the error.

double doesn't exist on many Arduinos, you get float silently instead, which might account for a small
discrepancy in setFrequency as float is 24 bit resolution only.

180000000 should be 180000000L, as its not 16 bit constant,
ditto 70000000, etc.

The oscilloscope is perfectly fine, to be honest I am so new to this kind of coding I started learning to code Arduino long time ago and all I have is very basic knowledge so your help is much much appreciated.

There is a line in the code says

The code writer indicated that you can adjust int32_t freq = frequency * 4294967296/180000000; slightly to get the AD9851 exactly on frequency.

I was playing with the multiplyer number of 4294967296 and I started getting a closer numbers to the actual measured output frequency!

but is there a mathematical way to accurately set the frequency?
which part of the code represents the LCD shown freq and which is the actual measured output freq

BTW I have a clone ELEGO UNO R3 if this makes a difference

MarkT:
double doesn't exist on many Arduinos, you get float silently instead, which might account for a small
discrepancy in setFrequency as float is 24 bit resolution only.

180000000 should be 180000000L, as its not 16 bit constant,
ditto 70000000, etc.

Double and long double both "exist" in AVR-LIBC, but unfortunately they are all the same as float.

I've been working on integrating pieces of "newlib" into avr-libc (currently integrating true double code).

I also need to fix avr-libc (or use a piece of newlib) to support the "*" formatting option for printf. That is, I want it to support this:

fprintf (stdout, "Variable number of places: %*d\n", 5, value);

This syntax allows setting the print width dynamically, but sadly avr-libc doesn't support it.

I was playing with the multiplyer number of 4294967296

Shouldn't you have been playing with the "180000000.0" ?

Doskiii90:
The oscilloscope is perfectly fine, to be honest I am so new to this kind of coding I started learning to code Arduino long time ago and all I have is very basic knowledge so your help is much much appreciated.

There is a line in the code says

The code writer indicated that you can adjust

int32_t freq = frequency * 4294967296/180000000;

slightly to get the AD9851 exactly on frequency.

I was playing with the multiplyer number of 4294967296 and I started getting a closer numbers to the actual measured output frequency!

but is there a mathematical way to accurately set the frequency?
which part of the code represents the LCD shown freq and which is the actual measured output freq

BTW I have a clone ELEGO UNO R3 if this makes a difference

Download the zip file I put up for you. Not only are those scaling factors explained, but the library also contains the ability to calibrate your crystal to an exact value.

Note that it's not a "dumbed down click to install" library. You need to make your own directory (or "folder" in Windoze) called "AD9851" then unzip the file into that directory to produce "AD9851.cpp" and "AD9851.h", then restart your IDE and you can #include the library into your sketch.

Also, the library returns a value to you which is the EXACT frequency that got set (along with any errors due to the integer value not lining up exactly). For example, you may do a "[b]DDS.setFreq (1000000UL);[/b]" but it may return "[b]1000001UL[/b]" if that's the closest it can get.