Go Down

Topic: Want to program ATmega328, but only 328P is available (Read 235 times) previous topic - next topic

Natanji

I have an old Arduino board from http://www.doku.fab4u.de/de/kits/hacklace/start - the project is discontinued, but I had used the project successfully in the past. So now I wanted to use the most up-to-date Arduino IDE to write new software for it.

The problem is that according to the instructions for the standard firmware here https://github.com/fab4U/Hacklace2, I am supposed to select the ATmega328 as my processor. But this processor is not offered in the selection menu; only the version with an additional P at the end is. From what I gathered via Google, this is indeed a different processor with a different instruction set.

Nevertheless I attempted to compile and upload the software using the P version. Flashing works, but afterwards nothing has changed with the software on the device - which according to the Arduino FAQ means that the wrong processor was selected. Wellllll.

Was support for the non-P version discontinued? If so, why - the device is merely five years old after all? Or what is the problem here, and how can I fix it?

pert

I am supposed to select the ATmega328 as my processor. But this processor is not offered in the selection menu; only the version with an additional P at the end is.
That was an error in the Arduino hardware definition text that has been fixed since those instructions were written. It's always been ATmega328P but for some reason people tend to call it "ATmega328" even though that's a different model of microcontroller.

Flashing works
That means you have an ATmega328P on your board. If it was actually an ATmega328 then the upload would fail with a signature mismatch error.

Was support for the non-P version discontinued?
It never existed. There are no official Arduino boards that use the ATmega328. There are 3rd party packages you can install to add ATmega328 support to the Arduino IDE though.

Or what is the problem here, and how can I fix it?
It's most likely either a problem with the code or your board.

Go Up