Go Down

Topic: Cant Select "Serial Port" From Arduino Menus Or Program Arduino Uno, Ubuntu (Read 30584 times) previous topic - next topic

mrtaylor

@mojotexas 
try running arduino as root (cd arduino-0022; sudo ./arduino)

fredMirko

I just registered on the forum for answering to this post. I'am sure I'll have more questions and issues later

At least I find a solution for this one, a bit late.

Before I had same issue, the "tool->Serial Port" was Gray and the right for the serial port /dev/ttyS0 was
m@myBox:~$ ll /dev/ttyS0
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 4, 64 2011-06-22 18:57 /dev/ttyS0

As root (or sudo), I change the right for this serial port
m@myBox:/usr/share$ sudo chmod 666 /dev/ttyS0
and it becomes:
m@myBox:~$ ll /dev/ttyS0
crw-rw-rw- 1 root dialout 4, 64 2011-06-22 18:57 /dev/ttyS0

It works fine for me after

fredMirko

It wasn't the correct solution.
I found a more correct way to have all the users be able to select the serial port /dev/ttyS0

Just look at the group for the /dev/ttyS0 file
For me it is like that:
f@myBox:~$ ll /dev/ttyS0
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 4, 64 2011-06-25 17:45 /dev/ttyS0

So I added myself and the others users using arduino in the dialout group

Edit /etc/group
and add all the users you want in the dialout group like that
dialout:x:20:myself,otherUserName

cosonaller

I have had smilar problem but i solved:
-open the terminal window
-sudo arduino
and than you can see serial port selection.

BrianM

Best solution:  Don't run IDE under Ubuntu... wrap if you must but use XP or W7 instead ... there are practically no headaches there.  It almost seems as though the Arduino team did most of the development in MS land and not in the kingdom of Linux.  Not a criticism just an observation.

bboyes

Well, this is an old topic but I am having the same issue with a fresh install of arduino 1.0.6 and Teensyduino on Ubuntu Mate 14.04. Running arduino as su seems bad because then ALL files created are owned by root and normal operations should not take su access. I execute the arduino IDE with "bash arduino..." and to make the serial port reachable I had to
sudo chmod 666 /dev/ttyACM0
and now I can see and use that serial port to program and monitor Uno R3. I have not been able to edit any permission file to add users to a group as suggested in other replies here.

If this chmod of ttyACMO is not a good idea and there is a better solution, I'd love to hear about it.
Thanks

tf68

You probably need to join the "dialout" group.

Entering the command, groups, in a terminal will show the groups you belong to.

sudo adduser YourUserName dialout   Will fix things if you need to join the dialout group, logout and login after you run adduser.

For teensyduino you need to install the teensyduino udev rules. Teensy uses it's own uploader utility and as such doesn't really have a programming port.

Go Up