Go Down

Topic: Led does not blink when ethernet is enabled (Read 739 times) previous topic - next topic

ckissi

I'm trying to blink led with ethernet enabled unfortunately cannot get it work.

Code: [Select]
#include <SPI.h>
#include <Ethernet.h>

byte mac[] = {0xDE,0xAC,0xBF,0xEF,0xFE,0xAA};

IPAddress ip(192,168,0,11);
EthernetClient client;

void setup()
{
  Ethernet.begin(mac, ip);
  Serial.begin(9600);
  delay(1000);

pinMode(LED_BUILTIN, OUTPUT);

}

void loop()
{   
  digitalWrite(LED_BUILTIN, HIGH);
  delay(1000);
  digitalWrite(LED_BUILTIN, LOW);
  delay(1000);
}

If I comment out the "EthernetClient client;" line the LED starts to blink. Whats wrong with this?

PaulS

Mar 07, 2018, 01:56 pm Last Edit: Mar 07, 2018, 01:58 pm by PaulS
If I comment out the "EthernetClient client;" line the LED starts to blink. Whats wrong with this?
It doesn't make sense that commenting out that line, and only that line, causes the LED to start blinking.

Move the Serial.begin() statement to the top of setup(). Add a Serial.print() statement before and after Ethernet.begin(). It is for more likely that that call is being made but never returns.

Forgot to mention that the Ethernet shield uses pins 10, 11, 12, and 13 on the 328-based Arduinos. If you are using one of them, you'll need to move your LED to another pin.

wildbill

From the Ethernet shield documentation:
Arduino communicates with both the W5500 and SD card using the SPI bus (through the ICSP header). This is on digital pins 10, 11, 12, and 13 on the Uno
From memory, the onboard LED is pin 13.

ckissi

It doesn't make sense that commenting out that line, and only that line, causes the LED to start blinking.

Move the Serial.begin() statement to the top of setup(). Add a Serial.print() statement before and after Ethernet.begin(). It is for more likely that that call is being made but never returns.

Forgot to mention that the Ethernet shield uses pins 10, 11, 12, and 13 on the 328-based Arduinos. If you are using one of them, you'll need to move your LED to another pin.
I use UNO with Ethernet shield. I've tried to move LED to PIN 9 : pinMode(9, OUTPUT) with no success.

Now the LED doesn't blink with or without the  Ethernet.begin(mac, ip); line.

I've tried also PIN 3. No success. Where to move the LED?  

ckissi

Got it working on port 9

I've added this at the top:

#define LED_BUILTIN 9

PaulS

#define LED_BUILTIN 9
Pin 9 doesn't have a built in LED.

sterretje

Mar 07, 2018, 04:45 pm Last Edit: Mar 07, 2018, 04:46 pm by sterretje
Got it working on port 9

I've added this at the top:

#define LED_BUILTIN 9
And this is the warning that you get if you set the compiler warnings to ALL in preferences.
C:\Users\sterretje\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_modified_sketch_594459\sketch_mar07a.ino:1:0: warning: "LED_BUILTIN" redefined

#define LED_BUILTIN 9

^

In file included from C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino/Arduino.h:257:0,

from C:\Users\sterretje\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_303495\sketch\sketch_mar07a.ino.cpp:1:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\variants\standard/pins_arduino.h:54:0: note: this is the location of the previous definition

#define LED_BUILTIN 13

^

Understand what you are doing. You should not redefine a predefined pin. How would you have added a second led (on pin 9)?

E.g. with
#define OTHERLED 9

And in setup() you would have used something like
pinMode(OTHERLED, OUTPUT);

And to control the led, you would have used e.g.
digitalWrite(OTHERLED, HIGH);

Now find a decent name for OTHERLED and you're good to go.

With regards to your original problem, your shield uses the SPI bus and pin 13 is the SPI clock. Pin 13 is also the built-in led and hence you have a conflict.
If you understand an example, use it.
If you don't understand an example, don't use it.

Electronics engineer by trade, software engineer by profession. Trying to get back into electronics after 15 years absence.

Go Up