Go Down

Topic: USB Hardware Design For Arduino (Read 263 times) previous topic - next topic

mohamadol

Hi All. I am trying to design my own Arduino board. For the purpose of my project I am to change the usual USB mini port of the Arduino with an original USB port that you find on your regular laptop as well. My only concern is would that need any modifications in terms of hardware electronics? I am attaching a screen shot of my current schematic with a mini USB port. Basically, I will just change the input port and nothing more, right?

Thanks in advance

MorganS

Yes and no.

The schematic is easy. Yes.

If you read up on the USB standard and best practices for laying out USB traces on a PCB, it's very complex. Without seeing the PCB, nobody can say if your design will work. So no.

It sounds like you want to put a USB "A" port on the Arduino. Do you already have the A-to-A cable? They are pretty rare because the standard forbids plugging an A into an A, even though such devices do exist.
"The problem is in the code you didn't post."

mohamadol

Thanks for your reply. The final product will be communicating with an Android device, so the cable would be USB C to USB A.

gdsports

If you want to connect an Android device to an Arduino board, you should look at the technical info on this page.

https://store.arduino.cc/usa/arduino-mega-adk-rev3

CrossRoads

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

mohamadol

Thanks for your reply. The host will be the android device. I am merely using USB A female port because of it's shape.

Grumpy_Mike

CrossRoads

Androids have host controllers? I thought they were just USB slaves, like a memory stick.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

Go Up