Go Down

Topic: Nano not found in Arduino 1.8.5 on Mac High Sierra (Read 2757 times) previous topic - next topic

jcauthen78

New to Arduino - looking forward to playing around with it and giving it a test drive.. but.. It doesn't seem to be working for me. I can't get USB to show up under TOOLS -> PORTS, only Bluetooth (see screenshot)

* Arduino version 1.8.5
* Arduino Nano (Genuine, ordered from arduino.cc)

It shows up in my Hardware --> USB as FT232R USB UART (see screen shot). I'm hoping that's a good thing. Hooked directly into the USB port on the back of the iMac.

On the Nano: 
- ON light is Green
- L light blinks yellow about 1 a second
- TX and RX are dark.
- Nothing is plugged into the pins, fresh out of the box.
- Not touching any metal surfaces

I've tried:
- 2 different USB cables, and ports.
- rebooting
- installed D2xx Helper - and 1.4.4 driver
- $ sudo EEPROM/read/read (see screenshot)
- re-downloading Arduino program
- turned off Bluetooth on the Mac
- Tried the Arduino web application (with plugin)
- rebooted a few more times for good measure  :o

Any suggestions/troubleshooting tips would be greatly appreciated! 

Thanks,
/Jim

Chris_Drury

Jim,

I am wondering if you got any sort of reply and resolution?

I have just taken delivery of a Genuine Nano ordered from the Arduino.cc website. I have some experience with the Arduino but I cannot get my Nano to talk too my MacBook running High Sierra 10.13.4.

I have set the board type and tried to set the serial connection but the MacBook only sees the USB C to USB B adaptor and not beyond. I have tried two adaptors (one genuine Apple and one by Minix) and four USB cables. The RX light on the Nano flashes briefly when it is plugged in but the unit won't connect to the MacBook.

I also have a genuine Arduino Uno and that works fine with either adaptor and have been using this just now. I am am able to select the serial port for this in the drop down under Tools>Port.

There are some issues with High Sierra and clones that use a different chipset but as I have a genuine Nano I didn't expect any problems. The MacBook is new and I don't really fancy messing with the drivers; if I wanted to do that I would have saved myself a lot of money and bought a cheap Windows machine.

Anyway, I wondered if you had any resolution or whether anyone else has had issues or knows a solution?

Thanks,

Chris.

Chris_Drury

Genuine Nano with High Sierra solution ?!

I have an update on this since my last post. I have got the nano to work purely by accident. I have both a genuine Uno and a genuine Nano connected to a Minix Neo USB C to USB B adaptor.

By accident I uploaded the sketch to to the Nano with the board etc to Arduino/Genuino Uno. This works perfectly and I can decide which Arduino to upload to by simply changing the Port selection back and forth.

If I set the Board to Arduino Nano then the MacBook won't talk to the Nano.

To confirm this I have shutdown the machine and rebooted to make sure this wasn't some odd one off. I have successfully uploaded the sketch using both the Minix Neo and the genuine Apple USB C to USB B adaptor.

So to be clear:

I have:

Arduino Nano (Genuine from Arduino.cc)
Macbook Retina 12 inch 2017 - 256MB, 1.2 GHz m3
High Sierra 10.13.4
Arduino software 1.8.5

Board set to: Arduino/Genuino Uno(not Arduino Nano)
Port set to: /dev/cu.usbserial - A600MY5S

This is doesn't seem right but its working for me.

Chris.

ieee488

Genuine Nano with High Sierra solution ?!

I have an update on this since my last post. I have got the nano to work purely by accident. I have both a genuine Uno and a genuine Nano connected to a Minix Neo USB C to USB B adaptor.

By accident I uploaded the sketch to to the Nano with the board etc to Arduino/Genuino Uno. This works perfectly and I can decide which Arduino to upload to by simply changing the Port selection back and forth.

If I set the Board to Arduino Nano then the MacBook won't talk to the Nano.

To confirm this I have shutdown the machine and rebooted to make sure this wasn't some odd one off. I have successfully uploaded the sketch using both the Minix Neo and the genuine Apple USB C to USB B adaptor.

So to be clear:

I have:

Arduino Nano (Genuine from Arduino.cc)
Macbook Retina 12 inch 2017 - 256MB, 1.2 GHz m3
High Sierra 10.13.4
Arduino software 1.8.5

Board set to: Arduino/Genuino Uno(not Arduino Nano)
Port set to: /dev/cu.usbserial - A600MY5S

This is doesn't seem right but its working for me.

Chris.

New Nanos have new Bootloader.

Old Nanos have old Bootloader.

It looks like you have old Bootloader on your Nano.

You can confirm this by upgrading your Board Manager in the IDE.

atomickid

Hey folks, I have a similar problem on a MacBook Pro running 10.14.5. Arduino IDE 1.8.9. I can confirm the board has the 328P chip.

Have just purchased 3 new Nanos and none of them will show up in the Serial Port list, regardless of which Board I select. I have been using an Uno completely fine for the past few weeks, and it shows up every time. Also tried a few different USB cables. Both units power up, and the test program (blinking L) works.

Not sure what the next step would be, but I would be really surprised is I managed to receive 3 busted boards.

Thanks!
Stephen

Go Up