Go Down

Topic: Arduino project potentiometer  (Read 294 times) previous topic - next topic

YannickBessekon

Hi guys ???  ,

I am currently designing a small project in which I want to connect a potentiometer 0-1MOhm to a a small power source.

unfortunately I cannot find this piece of equipment since those proposes on the market are based on the "voltage divider"...

Does someone have an idea to by-pass this constraint?

Thanks in advance ;)

sterretje

Mar 27, 2018, 04:53 pm Last Edit: Mar 27, 2018, 04:55 pm by sterretje
That's how all potentiometers work ;) What you can do is connect the runner to one of the other pins or leave one of the other pins open so you indeed have a variable resistor.

What do you actually need? Make a small diagram, take a photo or scan it and post it here.
If you understand an example, use it.
If you don't understand an example, don't use it.

Electronics engineer by trade, software engineer by profession. Trying to get back into electronics after 15 years absence.

outsider

Mar 27, 2018, 05:37 pm Last Edit: Mar 27, 2018, 05:42 pm by outsider
Couldn't find a decent group of pictures quickly, but here.

Thats POTENTIOMETER.  :P

YannickBessekon

Hi sterretje/outsider,

Thank you very much for your answers.

I plan to investigate the behavior of an engine coupled to a generator. Instead of using a torque meter , I planned to used a potentiometer and volt-amp meter ad presented bellow.

Grumpy_Mike

The OP's image :-

I planned to used a potentiometer and volt-amp meter ad presented bellow.
Note that all the digital pots are very restricted as to the voltage and current they can take. You will be hard pushed to find one that takes over 50mA at voltages outside 0 to 5V.

tinman13kup

What is the purpose of the rheostat? Where is the generator?
I really doubt you will get many answers on over-coupling, as there simply is no answer to give. If it is a case where you want to see the decay, then that's a different story.
Tom
It's not a hobby if you're not having fun doing it. Step back and breathe

YannickBessekon

Hi Guys,

the plan is to connect the generator to an experimental engine, which produces only 1.5W of mechanical power according to the manufacturer (with no additional information...). the goal of the experiment is to analyse the performances of the whose system. this is why I need to add a variable load :) the generator itself should be a small permanent DC motor of 5V max

Grumpy_Mike

this is why I need to add a variable load
That is not the way to add a variable load, you need to use FETs to handle the power. A mechanical powe of 1.5W is not insignificant in terms of electronics.

Go Up