Go Down

Topic: If there's a forum cleanup pending... (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

lastchancename

Apr 01, 2018, 01:18 am Last Edit: Apr 01, 2018, 01:19 am by lastchancename
If there's a cleanup pending...

Perhaps the mods could look at the stats for low-use sections - and close / redistribute those posts to other sections - to declutter the Using Arduino page...?
Excluding the foreign language sections which serve a worthwhile purpose.

Maybe a new section for AUTOMOTIVE projects and threads.
There seem to be a growing number of car / customising / CAN/IBUS topics popping up - specifically for car installation.
This could also address automotive power solutions - to handle the spikes and sags experienced.

Just a thought
Experienced responders have a nose for laziness, (they were beginners once)... Sure, there are trolls, chest-beaters, and pretenders - but the help you'll get here is about as good as it gets - if you try to help youself!.

Robin2

and close / redistribute those posts to other sections
How could you re-distribute Threads without reading each one individually - are you volunteering?

Maybe a new section for AUTOMOTIVE projects and threads.
IMHO there are already too many sections - most of the time questions are started in the most ridiculous places. Adding anothe section would just increase the scope for getting things wrong.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

lastchancename

I don't  know what tools are available to the mods... but a good start to an automotive section could be flicking through the subject line of the last 30 days new threads.

Agree about too many sections, that was my thought about eliminating those sections with low posting populations.  Perhaps 10% or more could be bumped around (leaving the language sections alone).

And not sure what's involved, but maybe i'm a bit too opinionated to be a mod!
Experienced responders have a nose for laziness, (they were beginners once)... Sure, there are trolls, chest-beaters, and pretenders - but the help you'll get here is about as good as it gets - if you try to help youself!.

zimuoiashley

Hey,

To begin to a car area could be flicking through the headline of the most recent 30 days new strings.

Concur about such a large number of areas, that was my idea about taking out those segments with low posting populaces. Maybe 10% or more could be knock around (disregarding the language areas).

ballscrewbob

Jul 23, 2019, 01:50 pm Last Edit: Jul 23, 2019, 01:50 pm by ballscrewbob
Sure...

Mods etc have all the time in the world to go through thousands of posts...

Not sure how much power you think some of us have but chopping and changing sections needs to come from higher up that most of the moderator community.

I would agree that a couple of areas could or should be "archived" such as the "UP2" section. and the old MKR100 section.
Or maybe taken off general viewing.

Some areas seem quieter during certain parts of the year than others (school holidays and such is best guess).

And some days just chasing the CRUD is enough to keep people busy too.

Quick example is where somebody reports a cross posted item but neglects to mention where the other one is...Then you have to open the offending users profile in a new tab and then go through thier posts and open the suspected cross post in a new tab...4 tabs now open before a decision can be made....Do you merge or do you kill ?...Kill is quickest if there were no real follow ups...Merge on the other hand can involve many steps...Split the topic and give it a new name...then move it to the same section as the other post then you can finally MERGE...

Oh an BTW we do this for fun and free because we support the community but there are limits to the seemingly wondrous things we can and will do.

Bob.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

AWOL

Sure...

Mods etc have all the time in the world to go through thousands of posts...

Not sure how much power you think some of us have but chopping and changing sections needs to come from higher up that most of the moderator community.

I would agree that a couple of areas could or should be "archived" such as the "UP2" section. and the old MKR100 section.
Or maybe taken off general viewing.

Some areas seem quieter during certain parts of the year than others (school holidays and such is best guess).

And some days just chasing the CRUD is enough to keep people busy too.

Quick example is where somebody reports a cross posted item but neglects to mention where the other one is...Then you have to open the offending users profile in a new tab and then go through thier posts and open the suspected cross post in a new tab...4 tabs now open before a decision can be made....Do you merge or do you kill ?...Kill is quickest if there were no real follow ups...Merge on the other hand can involve many steps...Split the topic and give it a new name...then move it to the same section as the other post then you can finally MERGE...

Oh an BTW we do this for fun and free because we support the community but there are limits to the seemingly wondrous things we can and will do.

Bob.

Amen.

Delta_G

|| | ||| | || | ||  ~Woodstock

Please do not PM with technical questions or comments.  Keep Arduino stuff out on the boards where it belongs.

Go Up