Go Down

Topic: Yet another YM2151 synthesizer shield (Read 628 times) previous topic - next topic

jaholmes

Here's a YM2151 synthesizer shield I designed mainly as a birthday present for a childhood friend who used to hike to the video arcade with me after school--back in the late 1980s.   I brazenly put the Capcom logo on it (I certainly won't be selling these) and packed it full of tunes from some our favorite old Capcom arcade titles.  Here's a rather lame demo via YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egrJjrRhqs8

(In case you're wondering about the appearance of the PCB, it's got a clear plastic texture applied over it, just because I thought that would look cool. :)))

The circuit is not especially remarkable, although I did opt to use the 2560's external memory feature to communicate with the YM2151 rather than bit-banging it like everybody else seems to do. (That was really just for the adventure, and not because I felt it was important.)

The songs were all dumped using a copy of MAME that I customized to log the traffic between the Z80 and the YM2151 while playing Capcom CPS1 titles.  I built another tool that filters and compresses the logs, and turns them into header files for inclusion into my sketch.  That was a bigger adventure, and a great learning experience by itself!

It's possible there will be further development, but I'm thinking this is mostly a dead-end amusement.  Not that those are bad!  I've actually just started in on a rather more aggressive video game music project, also Arduino based.  More on that in the next month or two.

TonyD

Cool project.

Are you planning on putting up the schematic & sketches anywhere?

jaholmes

Are you planning on putting up the schematic & sketches anywhere?
Not likely.  There's an infinity of other Arduino + YM2151 projects around.  Not long ago, there was a user selling shields here on the forums.  I set out in my own direction mainly for the learning experience, and although the implementation is different in a few small ways, I'm not sure it adds enough to warrant all the polishing I'd have to do to feel comfortable posting the design files and code.

I am, however, working on bringing to life another music chip, and that one'll be a bit more interesting.  I do plan on sharing schematics and code for that shortly.

Go Up