Go Down

Topic: Upload fail  (Read 382 times) previous topic - next topic

chris77

Windows 10 - 64 bit
Arduino software 1.8.5
Pro 328p 16mhz 5v board .
Drivers ftdichip.com 2.12.28
FTDI usb to serial cable

I am unable to load a file to the board . I have verified the loop back works per instructions by shorting reset and tx/rx pins . I have updated the drivers . A few old post talk about using old drivers but they were dated 2013 , so long old and the links are gone .
Plugging in the board the power light comes on and pin 13? green light flashes on and off for a few seconds . Start an upload , once compiled and starting board upload the green light flashes two or three times and then nothing and I get what looks like a typical avrdude: stk500_getsync()  fault . I will post at the end .

Maybe 5 years ago I programed a board to run my automatic gearbox , I drowned it so need to replace the board . Two things have changed , one new computer and two new ftdi cable . I have tried to load on the old computer and I still get the same result , running win xp and a very old arduino program . However with my old cable I was loading just fine up until I lost the cable on another project . The second was the cable , I lost the cable a few months ago so brought a new one and now can not program , however it passed the loop back test .

Somewhere I have read on a help page about setting the baud rate and stop bits etc . I cant find this now but from 4 year old memory when I checked it last time it was set ok , can anyone point me to that info again . Or any other info that may help me program a new chip .

If it did not pass the loop back I would get a new cable . I have disabled windows firewalls/virus protection and it does not seem to help at all .

Thanks for any advice people may have .

Chris

fault text

Arduino: 1.8.5 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino Pro or Pro Mini, ATmega328P (5V, 16 MHz)"

Sketch uses 1490 bytes (4%) of program storage space. Maximum is 30720 bytes.
Global variables use 19 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2029 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xfb
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xfb
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xfb
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xfb
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xfb
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xfb
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xfb
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xfb
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xfb
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xfb
Problem uploading to board.  See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

ieee488

What does your Device Manager show?

chris77

Apr 17, 2018, 12:58 am Last Edit: Apr 17, 2018, 01:00 am by chris77
What does your Device Manager show?

Hello

In regards to what ? Not sure what you want to know . I am at work now but can answer when I get home and check out what you want . Off the top of my head it shows a USB serial port , it shows the drivers that are loaded are 2.12.28.00 . anything specific I will have to check .

Thanks
Cheers
Chris

ieee488

Hello

In regards to what ? Not sure what you want to know . I am at work now but can answer when I get home and check out what you want . Off the top of my head it shows a USB serial port , it shows the drivers that are loaded are 2.12.28.00 . anything specific I will have to check .

Thanks
Cheers
Chris
That sounds about right.

Use USB2 port and check that the USB cable has all 4 pins connected eg is data-capable.

chris77

The FTDI cable is a single piece , with the chip in the computer usb plug end . As the loop back test works would this not indicate the data wires are there , as opposed to just a usb power cable . USB2 port , do you mean on the computer ? Not sure I have any choice on this PC , will look at the system and see what it has .

I would guess a crook cable but it does the loop thing ok . So it has to be something I have not switch on or disabled . However why the cable does not work on my old pc that was working just fine a few months ago is a mystery.

Cheers
Chris

BJHenry

Have you connected the DTR pin of the FTDI cable to the RESET of the Pro?

chris77

Apr 17, 2018, 08:54 pm Last Edit: Apr 17, 2018, 08:55 pm by chris77
Have you connected the DTR pin of the FTDI cable to the RESET of the Pro?
Short answer no , as I am not entirly sure what you mean . The ftdi cable is a one piece complete cable with the usb plug on one end and a 6 pin header plug on the other , that connects to the pro board . All 6 pins are connected on the board . I believe it resets as the green light flashes once or twice after compiling , about when it should start to load the sketch . Also I have tried to manual hit reset at the right time , several attempts and no change , still get the same fail message .

With the old cable I never separately connected anything , wish I could find my old cable , grrr .

Cheers
Chris

chris77

I went to a local store and purchased a usb ftdi borad/chip , as thats all they had , and wired the header pins to the pro and the sketch loaded first time and every time after that .
So I believe my new cable is no good even though it passes the loop back test . Odd .

Will order another cable as its easier to use , so long as it works in the first place .

Cheers for the input

Chris

Go Up