Go Down

Topic: Arduino nano, but faster (Read 4388 times) previous topic - next topic

ES_CODE

I have seen this board (Arduino ARM). I have a project with space constraints and use of a specific port expander shield. I need the same pinout and more memory. And for future evolution it permits me to have some addition calculus power. I think it can work well.

https://wiki.protoneer.co.nz/NANO-ARM

PaulRB

Jun 13, 2020, 01:59 pm Last Edit: Jun 13, 2020, 02:00 pm by PaulRB
Yes, I have a NanoARM in my collection of boards. It seems a good board, but the support on the Protoneer forum could be better. I tried to get the board into a very low power mode and was not as successful as I had hoped. Similar boards from other designers achieve much lower power, and I never figured out how. It could be the way the Arduino core works. The NanoARM uses the Arduino Zero core. Perhaps those very low power boards have their own core which helps achieve that. But perhaps you are not concerned with low power operation.

The NanoARM is pin compatible with Nano to a degree but inevitably there are some differences. The obvious one is that the NanoARM is 3.3V and the Nano is 5V. NanoARM is not 5V tolerant. So while it might be mechanically compatible with your "shield" whatever that is, the voltages may not be compatible.

Another difference is the SPI port. But I think I did manage to get SPI working on the same pins as Nano with some extra configuration code. But it certainly did not work "out of the box". The same may be true of i2c, I have not tried that.

Just to let you know, waking up old, dead topics is somewhat frowned upon in the forum. There is a warning message on the page of old topics about that. Better to start a new topic and put a link to the old topic in your post.

PaulRB

Jun 13, 2020, 02:09 pm Last Edit: Jun 13, 2020, 02:14 pm by PaulRB

You can see above that the i2c pins on NanoARM are where A6 & A7 are on the Nano. On Nano, they are A4 & A5.

Another annoying difference is that Serial.print() does not print to the serial monitor. You must use SerialUSB.print() instead. This is also true of Arduino Zero.

Go Up