Go Down

Topic: Making an arduino wall power supply? (Read 5943 times) previous topic - next topic

polishdude20

ha! you know I'm not gonna take your word for it right? I'm pretty confident in my safety, I'm not some stupid kid.

...then...

lol! well thanks for nto being all grown u on me and stuff but yeah I'm 17 so I think i've learned enough to know how to handle a wall outlet, but ye I tried my dlink adapter 5v 2.5A and it works to blink an LED but not my LCD

/emphasis mine/

Listen - not meaning any disrespect here; I'm double your age and then some, but I remember what I was like when I was 17 - I was a "stupid kid". This isn't to say I was ignorant, nor is it to say I didn't know anything or have any reasoning skills. What I want to convey is that someday, you're going to look back on being 17 and say to yourself "damn, maybe I didn't know everything after all" - and perhaps on thinking that you'll remember these comments.

Mains power isn't something to casually mess with; most adults don't even understand the difference between neutral and ground. One wrong move and you might find yourself in the hospital, or possibly the morgue.

The fact that you think you must somehow lower the current output of a power supply tells me you are no where near ready to tackle a mains powered power supply. Get some more knowledge under you belt, then return to the idea.

/stay safe...

:)

... *sigh* this is what I have to deal with on these forums. People who misunderstand what I have said. I meant that I am safe enough NOT to touch things that will get me killed. I also meant that I can follow instructions and advice very accurately which will help me not mess around with things I might get hurt with. Yes, mains power is not something to play with but it's not like I will be touching any of the wires or terminals. Lastly, safety is actually the most basic thing you must know before any of the other parts of electronics. Obviously I didn't know about the current thing you said but that is AFTER safety. I realize you guys here are much older than me and that is why I come here for advice. So I ask of you not to judge my safety abilities by my electronics knowledge because safety comes first.

westfw

dlink adapter 5v 2.5A and it works to blink an LED but not my LCD

Are you feeding it into the Vin barrel connector, or in via the +5V line on USB connector or "power" pins?
If it's really 5V (and this is likely for a 2.5A adapter from a modern router), you want to do the latter, because the regulator/input circuitry from the barrel socket will drop 1V or more...

My general advice for Arduino power adapters is that you should find or buy one of the many cute little "USB charger" adapters (eg for iphone) and use them to power your arduino using a USB cable through the USB connector.  Second choice (or if you need the higher Vin voltage) is to look in a thrift store for an adapter that has be orphaned from an older phone, video game, or other device, that provides about 8 to 10V at 300mA or so.

If you're set on building something, there are kits that are probably a good starting point (like http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=C6724 )  It used to be that you could throw something together with the 6.3V filament transformers that were easy to harvest from tube-based throw-aways, but those are a bit hard to find, so you'd be buying most of the components anyway...

Knowing what you're doing with the AC side of a power supply is more than just knowing not to stick your fingers in the outlet.  OTOH, it doesn't take a master's degree in Science to do it either; building a traditional transformer based supply is probably safer than fishing your english muffin out of the toaster.

polishdude20

okay guys everything is fine now, I found a wall wart with the right specs for the arduino and all's good

Go Up