Go Down

Topic: Increasing Wall Wart voltage? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

polishdude20

SO I have a wall wart that is rated at 5v and 2.5 amps. I would like to know how to modify it to provide enough for the arduino about 6-9 volts?

jackrae

I'd suggest you find another one.  However, the first thing I'd do is measure the actual output voltage. If it's a cheap one with a transformer you will no doubt find that its output is greater than the specified 5 volts at currents lower than the maximum load current.  Don't be surprised if you find it as high as 9 or 10 volts.  Cheap wallwarts are not renowned for producing quality output.
jack

MarkT

If you are very lucky its regulated and provides a nice clean 5V already to drive the Vcc pin...  However measure it first!!
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

Simpson_Jr

Mar 06, 2011, 01:47 pm Last Edit: Mar 06, 2011, 01:50 pm by Simpson_Jr Reason: 1
You could... search for a DC/DC-converter to increase the voltage.

Using a higher voltage power-supply and creating 5 volt with that will probably be easier.

Grumpy_Mike

I would like to know how to modify it

If you have to ask then you can't do it.

They are all different inside and there are safety issues with modifying a mains unit, especially if you don't know what you are doing.

Go Up