Go Down

Topic: Looking after component to measure low power consumption (Read 685 times) previous topic - next topic

ksartor

Hi everyone,
i'm looking to measure low powered consumption DC or AC with an Arduino.
Indeed, the range in AC is some mA to measure less than 10 W
In DC, the range is from 0.01 mA until about 300 mA.
Have you got any device to perform these measurements?
Thank you

Paul_KD7HB

I have looked at all your previous posts and have to conclude you are not able to use Google or do any research yourself.

Are you looking for peak AC current or RMS?

Paul

RIN67630

i'm looking to measure low powered consumption DC or AC with an Arduino.
In DC, the range is from 0.01 mA until about 300 mA.
Have you got any device to perform these measurements?
The Arduino has 10bit ADC inputs. "0.01 mA until about 300 mA" would require 15 bit ADCs.
You are in the realm of high precision instrumentation.

MarkT

Or a set of switchable shunts to cover a range of currents.

For this low current its simplest to measure voltage across a shunt resistor in the current path - note that
this is not isolated from the circuit being measured.  There are chips that make measuring a current shunt
on the supply side (rather than ground) easier, if you need to keep grounds solidly connected you have
to measure on the high side - so what voltages are we talking?

Also some multimeters have isolated USB interfaces these days.
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

ksartor

I know that the Arduino has 10 bits ADC so i 'm looking after anything else.
For the shunt it involves a voltage drop not compatible with the application (the current depends on the voltage significantly)
I have accurate multimeter but i'm looking to a component to perform the measuremnt with an Arduino

For the AC part, i'm looking for the RMS i guess while my aim is to determine the power consumes by the device.

In AC mode, the aim is to measure the consumption of adaptator of smartphone...
In DC mode, the aim is to measure the deepsleep current of some µC

Paul_KD7HB

I know that the Arduino has 10 bits ADC so i 'm looking after anything else.
For the shunt it involves a voltage drop not compatible with the application (the current depends on the voltage significantly)
I have accurate multimeter but i'm looking to a component to perform the measuremnt with an Arduino

For the AC part, i'm looking for the RMS i guess while my aim is to determine the power consumes by the device.

In AC mode, the aim is to measure the consumption of adaptator of smartphone...
In DC mode, the aim is to measure the deepsleep current of some µC
Is your IC some type of surface mount and is it soldered on a printed circuit board? Or what?

Paul

ksartor

Wawa

For the DC current part, look at a 16-bit INA226 breakout board (ebay).
It comes with 0.1ohm onboard shunt.
Leo..

Paul_KD7HB

is a ESP8266 module itself
Since other devices and components use the Vcc lead on the module, do you have the expertise to lift the power pin on the 8266 in order to measure the current used?

Paul

Go Up