Go Down

Topic: Is it possible to view the DHCP Clients with esp8266 connected to the same netw? (Read 155 times) previous topic - next topic

MacQwerty

Is it possible to view all the devices that are connected to the same network as an ESP8266 with the DHCP Clients list at the router?

I have found different scans (Sniffers) for nearby wifi devices connected or not connected to a Wifi network. But I have never seen a sketch that can get all the connected devices to a network directly from the DHCP server.

On my mobile phone I use Fing to see the other devices in my network I am connected with. But live would be easier if my esp8266 connects to network1 and shows all the connected devices and another esp8266 connects to network2 and shows all those devices. Then the devices do not have to sniff, just read the list from the router.

pylon

I have found different scans (Sniffers) for nearby wifi devices connected or not connected to a Wifi network. But I have never seen a sketch that can get all the connected devices to a network directly from the DHCP server.
Because such a sketch depends on the used DHCP server and there is a bunch of them out in the wild.

On my mobile phone I use Fing to see the other devices in my network I am connected with.
That's a network scanner and not a DHCP poller. Using such a scanner in a network not being your own is illegal in many jurisdictions.

But live would be easier if my esp8266 connects to network1 and shows all the connected devices and another esp8266 connects to network2 and shows all those devices. Then the devices do not have to sniff, just read the list from the router.
Most routers offer a service where this information can be retrieved. As long as you're writing about your own networks, having the router password shouldn't be a problem. In all other networks you're not allowed to access that information anyway.

MacQwerty

That's a network scanner and not a DHCP poller. Using such a scanner in a network not being your own is illegal in many jurisdictions.

Most routers offer a service where this information can be retrieved. As long as you're writing about your own networks, having the router password shouldn't be a problem. In all other networks you're not allowed to access that information anyway.
No problem, I want to use it for my own networks. The only two networks you can see in my home are my own. Neigbours are too far away.

Then I am looking for a network scanner that can get that information from the router but not from the DHCP poller. Is there something where I can start with? In my house it all starts with a Fritz!Box 5490 and behind that router there're ubiquity accesspoints.

For the Fing app I did not need any password of my router. Is there something working in general? The WiFi sniffers like https://www.hackster.io/kosme/esp8266-sniffer-9e4770 and https://www.hackster.io/rayburne/esp8266-mini-sniff-f6b93a are sniffers that do not work the way I want it. Because the range of my esp8266 is too small. I have multiple accespoints to cover my home, garage and garden.

Aragornale

Is it possible to view all the devices that are connected to the same network as an ESP8266 with the DHCP Clients list at the router?

On my mobile phone I use Fing to see the other devices in my network I am connected with. But live would be easier if my esp8266 connects to network1 and shows all the connected devices and another esp8266 connects to network2 and shows all those devices. Then the devices do not have to sniff, just read the list from the router.
Well, i think you can try a ping scan. Make a ping with a "for" from x.x.x.1 to x.x.x.254 network, and then you have all IPS in the net,

pylon

For the Fing app I did not need any password of my router. Is there something working in general?
Then use that app or a similar application on a "real" computer. A Raspberry Pi using nmap would probably do the job but reprogramming that on a ESP8266 is a bigger task.

In my house it all starts with a Fritz!Box 5490 and behind that router there're ubiquity accesspoints.
The access points should not have DHCP servers active so you can simply connect to the Fritzbox (using the admin account and password) and ask the API there about all DHCP clients.

Go Up