Go Down

Topic: MCP2515 Extended CAN frame filtering (Read 3529 times) previous topic - next topic

hiddenkabob

Hi,

I'm currently attempting to use an arduino uno R3 paired with a sparkfun CAN shield (uses the MCP2515 chip), to receive informative via a CAN bus from an aftermarket engine control unit. The can bus in question is a 1Mbit bus, with the data from the ECU transmitted at 10hz. As I am only after 2 of the 6 CAN frames I have been attempting (unsuccessfully) to implement the hardware level filtering described in the MCP2515 datasheet.

The messages set by the ECU are as follows:

• 29bit CAN extended identifiers

• using the following ids (decimal) 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004,2005)

After exploring various existing libraries available and some research I have been trying to use DRO's CAN library (https://github.com/DRO/CAN-Library/tree/CAN_MCP2515) and have been able to use the example receive sketch to receive the CAN messages unfiltered. However once I apply the masks and filters to sketch the MCP2515 seems to no longer buffer any of the possible messages. I have tried a few combinations of mask and filters to no effect, I had spent time going through the MCP2515 datasheet and as a result I believe that my mask and filter combination should work .

Code: [Select]
/* CAN communications example

Topic: Receive Messages using read(CAN *message) function
  Author: Pedro Cevallos
  Created: 05/07/14

Example shows how to receive messages using MCP2515 CAN controller
  This example uses Serial Monitor to display received messages

As per wiki information:
  "CAN bus is a message-based protocol, designed specifically for automotive applications
  but now also used in other areas such as aerospace, maritime, industrial automation and medical equipment."
  For more info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controller_area_network

CAN bit rate:  10 kpbs; 20 kpbs; 50 kbps; 100 kbps; 125 kbps; 250 kbps; 500 kbps; 1000 kbps
  CAN modes: NORMAL, LISTEN,SLEEP,CONFIG, LOOPBACK

*/

#include <can.h>
#include <SPI.h>

// First we define our CAN mode and rate.

#define mode NORMAL // define CAN mode
#define bitrate 1000 // define CAN speed (bitrate)

/*
  Second we create CAN1 object (CAN channel) and select SPI CS Pin. Do not use "CAN" by itself as it will cause compile errors.
  Needs to be CAN0, CAN1, CAN2, or whatever name you want to give that channel. This can also allow us to create more channels
  using more MCP2515s as long as we use different SPI CS to control data.
*/

MCP CAN1(10); //Create CAN Channel
CAN message; // Create message object to use CAN message structure

void setup(){

Serial.begin(115200);                                          // Initialize Serial communications with computer to use serial monitor

//Set CAN mode and speed. Note: Speed is now 500kbit/s so adjust your CAN monitor

CAN1.begin(mode, bitrate);
  //CAN1.clearRxBuffers();

delay(4000);                                                   // Delay added just so we can have time to open up Serial Monitor and CAN bus monitor. It can be removed later...

if ((CAN1.readMode () == mode) && (CAN1.readRate() == bitrate)) // Check to see if we set the Mode and speed correctly. For debugging purposes only.
  {
    Serial.println("CAN Initialization complete");
    Serial.print ("CAN speed set to:  ");
    Serial.print (bitrate);
    Serial.println ("kbit/s");
      CAN1.setMask(mask0,0xFA,0x08,0x00,0x00);
      CAN1.setMask(mask1,0xFA,0x08,0x00,0x00);
      CAN1.setFilter(filter0,0xFA,0xE0,0x00,0x00);
      CAN1.setFilter(filter1,0xFA,0xE0,0x00,0x00);
      CAN1.setFilter(filter2,0xFA,0xE0,0x00,0x00);
      CAN1.setFilter(filter3,0xFA,0xE0,0x00,0x00);
      CAN1.setFilter(filter4,0xFA,0xE0,0x00,0x00);
      CAN1.setFilter(filter5,0xFA,0xE0,0x00,0x00);

}
  else
  {
    Serial.println("CAN Initialization failed");
    Serial.println("CAN speed failed");
  }
}

// Create a function to read message and display it through Serial Monitor

void readMessage(){

if (CAN1.msgAvailable() == true){                               // Check to see if a valid message has been received.

CAN1.read(&message);                                        //read message, it will follow the CAN structure of ID,RTR, legnth, data. Allows both Extended or Standard

Serial.print("ID");
    Serial.print(" | ");
    Serial.print(message.ID,HEX);                               //display message ID
    Serial.print(" | ");
      Serial.print("RTR");
    Serial.print(" | ");
    Serial.print(message.rtr,HEX);                              //display message RTR
   if (message.rtr == 1){
     Serial.print(" REMOTE REQUEST MESSAGE ");                  //technically if its RTR frame/message it will not have data So display this
   }else {
    Serial.print(" | ");
    Serial.print("Length");
    Serial.print(" | ");
    Serial.print(message.length,HEX);                            //display message length
    Serial.print(" | ");
    Serial.print("Data");
    for (byte i=0;i<message.length;i++) {
      Serial.print(" | ");
      if(message.data[i] <0x10)
      {
        Serial.print("0");
      }
      Serial.print(message.data[i],HEX);                          //display data based on length
    }
   }
    Serial.println();
}   
}

// Finally arduino loop to execute above function with a 150ms delay

void loop(){

readMessage();
// delay(50);

}

any advice or pointers on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

mirabii

hello i didn't find the files in github if you can to send it to me thank you

Go Up