Go Down

Topic: Device not found on Com port  (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

JTaylor96

Hi,

I made my own due board for use as a sensor board with multiple interrupts and added higher amperage regulators to drive the board. Everything is working on the board except the programing port with the 16u2. I can program the board using the native port no problem but when I try to program the board with the programing port I get the error device not found on com port. I have tried all the solutions that were found in previous posts yet no luck. I get a success conformation from avrdude when the 16u2 hex file was flashed. I have attached the output below. My questions is, could there be anything else I am missing?

Thanks
James

ard_newbie

JTaylor96

Yes I have updated the 16u2 firmware, however I still get the device not found. I can confirm that when attempting to download the sketch it does erase the current code on the samd. And it the ide also detects the programing port as a due programing port and gives it a com port.

Thanks
James

ard_newbie

I don't know if you have the exact same schematic as the DUE (except the regulator), but there is a long thread called "No device found at …", maybe you will find some relevant informations:

https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=167492.0

Sometimes, there is an issue with a faulty USB cable, check that first !

JTaylor96

Yes I saw that post when I was designing the circuit and made sure I followed the solutions posted. I also used the due reference for v03.

I can post my schematic when I get home and can be on my computer.

Thanks
James

JTaylor96

Here is the schematic if that helps.

Thanks
James

ard_newbie

Sometimes this process works:

Press the erase button for 3 seconds, then the reset button for 3 seconds, then select the correct COM port + Arduino DUE (Programming Port)  in Menu>Tool>Type of board and upload (hopefully successfully) your sketch.

JTaylor96

I took the erase button out for a specific reason as its on a robot and I don't want it erasing by mistake. I will try short the pin to 3.3v. And get back to you.

Thanks
James

JTaylor96

Shorted the erase the pin for 3s, the pressed the reset for 3s. Tried to upload blink, however still get no device found on com port.

Thanks
James

ard_newbie

It sounds like a much more complex troubleshooting :) .

As you will have to check all your wiring and components between the programming USB socket and the 16U2, you can begin by testing that the programming port powers the board:  Upload the blink sketch thru the native USB port (you say it works), then unplug the native USB Port and plug the programming port: does the blink sketch still works (after a manual reset ) ?

JTaylor96

May 04, 2018, 02:24 pm Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 02:27 pm by JTaylor96
So I uploaded Blink through the native port, worked no issues. However I choose not have the USB ports power the board due to lack of current needed. So plugging the into the programming port will not power the board. But I did try applying 5v to the ICSP header and that powered the board and blink was working. I have attached what the pcb looks like around the 16u2 and the programming port.

Another thing I noticed not a big issue but I pulled the hex file off the 16u2 and it was different then the one I uploaded. Are they supposed to be the same or is that ok?
Thanks
James

ard_newbie

Are they supposed to be the same or is that ok?

I would say NO ! when you upload a sketch, there is a comparison between the .hex file you try to upload and the actual uploaded .hex file and AFAICT there is success if and only if the 2 are equal  :o

JTaylor96

Hmm, so it might not be the circuit and could be that the 16u2.hex is not uploading to the 16u2 correctly. Will have to double check my ISP programmer then.

Thanks
James

JTaylor96

May 04, 2018, 04:37 pm Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 04:39 pm by JTaylor96 Reason: fixed attachment
So I checked the circuit I had compared to the one here https://www.arduino.cc/en/Hacking/Upgrading16U2Due it seems to be correct. attached is the 16u2.hex I uploaded and the old_16u2.hex file I read from the chip.

Let me know if something is up.

Thanks
James

Go Up