Go Down

Topic: Help needed with step-up transformer (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

ted

1. Use tap water without baking soda - what are the results ?
2. reduce voltage applied to transformer, halogen lamp 500W in series with transformer.

ted

. The ballasts are good too because they don't push a whole lot of current into the flyback
what flyback

Typical ballast is just inductor when starter is on the heating elements increase the temperature inside the tube in the moment when going off the flyback spike igit the vapor in the tube then applayed voltage to tube is 110 V.
So the balast is not some kind of transformer or autotransformer.


ted


ted

electronic ballast is producing high voltage


ted




1. Filament electrodes are preheated and glow red
2. The Cathode begins to ionize argon gas surrounding it
3. This lamp is powered by AC power, so the cathode switches to the other side and you see the left side begin to ionize, the other side (now the anode) stays warm and ionized
4. The left side cathode warms to full and both sides are warmed up
5. The ballast provides a high voltage kick which instantly ionizes the entire tube to a high level of brightness


6. The lamp returns to normal voltage and its warmth has vaporized all the mercury, the lamp operates as normal

ted

#20
May 29, 2018, 08:46 am Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 09:51 am by ted
Why you stick with 277 volts, for your application voltage is not critical, try 240 V.
Your ballasts 50W can deliver only 150mA of high voltage, I think you need much more.
Low resistance is causing overloading the ballasts and drop 277V mayby to 100V
 
Microwave transformer is a 1000W

trip my breaker every two minutes = a lot of current you taking from transformer perhaps 2000W - 15A breakers ?


Joseph3502

Yes the MOT trips the breaker often and on a 20 amp breaker. The transformer gets very hot in a matter of minutes and so hot it burnt my hands. It runs solely on saturation. It is inefficient and even when I turn it down with my 30 amp variac, it still gets somewhat hot and the output voltage is a little too low. It works, but takes about 5 minutes per 6 inches to burn. Even when the voltage is lowered, there still is too much current. A ballast is sort of like a transformer because it outputs around 600 volts AC open circuit. I know it is more like an inductor, because it limits current, but. I know this reply is all random, but I'm trying to answer everybody. :)

ted

#22
May 29, 2018, 10:24 pm Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 01:37 am by ted
It is something wrong with your transformer - it is getting warm when is on load ?
or too much water

ted

#23
May 29, 2018, 10:30 pm Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 10:31 pm by ted
google - wood burning microwave transformer - images


Joseph3502

I am sorry, but the microwave transformer is out of the question. For one, I'm not comfortable using it. Two, I already took the secondary out to try to get 277 out. The only way I'm using the MOT is if I can figure out how to get 277 from it.

ted


ReverseEMF

#27
May 30, 2018, 03:11 am Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 03:12 am by ReverseEMF
OK, caveat: I have no experience with wood burning with electricity [you're creating Lichtenberg Figures, correct?]

But, just based on Electronics: if the Microwave Transformer is getting hot, and popping the circuit breaker, then that means the resistive path is allowing too much current to flow.  There are two things that can cause too much current:
  • Resistance is too low
  • Voltage is too high

So, either use less baking soda [or whatever it is that you are using to make the water more conductive], OR a lower voltage [which, clearly, is what you're trying to do]


BUT, maybe by adjusting the conductivity of the water, by using less "ionizing agent", you can get some success with the microwave transformer -- i.e. get away with using more voltage.
"It's a big galaxy, Mr. Scott"

Please DON'T Private Message to me, what should be part of the Public Conversation -- especially if it's to correct a mistake, or contradict a statement!  Let it ALL hang out!!

ted

That what I suggested i post # 15, but he is stick with 277V and 50W.
Good luck.

Joseph3502

#29
May 30, 2018, 04:21 am Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 05:10 am by Joseph3502
Well the problem is I don't have one now. I have tried different ratios of baking soda and water on wood, and they all work okay. It all depends on the wood. If it is a hardwood, it needs to be more baking soda and vice-versa. I am trying to get as close to 277 as I can get. I do not have 240 in the garage and if I want 240 I have a homemade cord that I run into my laundry room that plugs into my 30 amp 240 volt dryer plug. To make matters worse, we have a main circuit panel and 2 subpanels in the basement that have no spaces left. And where I live, there is constantly a load of laundry in the dryer. The worst part is we have a main circuit panel and 2 subpanels in the basement that have no spaces left, so I can't even run a 15 amp 240 volt line to the garage even if I wanted to. Ideally, I wanted to get 240/277 at about 0.5 amps from a standard 120 volt outlet. Even if I can get 240 from a standard 120 outlet I'd be happy. 277 would be better though. One thing is that I need it to be a transformer, not an electronic country converter for American to European plugs.

Go Up