Go Down

Topic: Best way to permanently connect mkr1000 (Read 188 times) previous topic - next topic

gpaCook

Jun 25, 2018, 12:34 am Last Edit: Jun 25, 2018, 12:41 am by gpaCook Reason: Image failed security test
This is about a smoker controller I am building, using a mkr1000 (to use the wifi feature).  My quandary is whether pin headers are reliable connection for the Arduino board.  This is only my second Arduino project, and on the first I used an Uno with a screw shield, so did no soldering.

For this project, I decided to build the circuit on strip board.  I installed female headers on the strip board, and male headers on the MKR100 - so I could easily replace the Arduino if need be by just plugging/unplugging from board.  (See attached photo)

Some background, which is probably useless, but some want the surrounding circumstances:
For the record, the project tests out on the breadboard ok. When I tested it out in the enclosure without securing the lid, it also worked OK.  But when securing the lid, a cable bears against the Arduino a little, applying a little pressure on it. Then when I press buttons, which are on the lid, the operation will occasionally drop out and restart as if vcc is interrupted.  Then, I found when the enclosure is open, I can cause the dropout by pressing against the Arduino in different directions.

Now, the meat:
Further, if you look at the pic, the arrow points to a single header position, which I had to add to the header block after I discovered I was one position off when I originally installed the block.  This is true for both blocks.  And, I superglued the single ones to the blocks - and unfortunately spilling a little glue into the holes on this block. I noticed this when I did it, but seemed to achieve continuity by working a pin in and out several times.

And finally, the quandary:
So, glue may be the problem.  Maybe the only problem.  But I have to fix it, and that means deciding between replacing the headers - or soldering the MKR100 to the strip board.  I figured there is probably an already established best practice for connecting Arduino for permanent application, but I couldn't find it.

Thanks for any help

Wawa

You might be able to replace the plastic part of the header by pulling it up off the pins.
Then you also can replace a single pin if you need to.
Leo..

Go Up