Go Down

Topic: UNO Trouble uploading on XP ... not in sync/ protocol error (Read 16243 times) previous topic - next topic

odddog

This sound exactly like a problem I got over about 15 minutes ago.  In Device Manager you should see "Ports(COM & LPT)".  Click the X and it will open up to show everything plugged into a port and which port.  One of these should be "Arduino UNO  (COM1) or (COM3) or something like it.  Make sure you have the right COM selected in tools in the Arduino sketch.  I had run 3 sketches but in the process of trying some changes, someway mine had changed to a different COM and that was causing me to have the same error that you have.  When I changed to the proper COM it started working again.  If you don't have Arduino UNO show up as one of the ports, that is a different problem you have to address and you haven't mentioned seeing that.

karistouf

Thanks for your suggestion, but...

Arduino is showing up on port list , and AS I MENTIONNED previously in this long thread, loading a sketch is not working, communicationg with an app i m developping is not possible.
The app finds the serial port but no communication. The hardware is not working on this PC on windows XP, and well working ( uploading sketch and communicationg with app) on other machines ( xp / seven).

definitively, i need an answer !!!!    :smiley-mr-green:

mellis

What COM port does the Arduino show up as in the device manager?  Is it shown with a warning (yellow triangle)?

The communication with the board may be getting blocked by some other software on your computer.  For example, some firewalls may block access.  Or program for USB cellular internet adaptors or PDA sync or bluetooth communication or other USB devices may grab any serial port, including the Arduino.  Try looking for this kind of program and disabling it, at least temporarily. 

karistouf

hi mellis. sorry but i m on COM 3. Nothing showiing up than normal aspect: UNO checked, COM checked.
still same trouble.

i m trying to load blink sketch. It takes 30 seconds minimum to tell me the size of the sketch. then the resp etc etc etc ....

please do not tell me i should reinstall completely windows on this machine, please

bret75

salut Christophe,
J'ai eu le même problème que toi sur un PC, j'ai tourné en bourrique jusqu'à ce que je remarque qu'en fait c'était du matériel un peu ancien avec des ports USB 1... j'ai installé une carte avec des USB2, depuis ca marche, plus de pb !!

nickgammon

Can you confirm that you see the Uno in the device list, like in the screen shot attached? Not only that, but COM8 (in my example) is the COM port you need to select in the IDE. And make sure that Arduino Uno is the board selected in the Tools -> Board menu.

Also, as others have suggested check your firewall settings. Perhaps disable temporarily.

Also there was recently a case where someone found that simply changing to a different USB cable fixed their problem (strange, I know).

Perhaps try a different USB port on the computer. Perhaps try plugging in a power pack into the Uno to supply extra power to it (eg. a 9V battery if you have a suitable adapter cable).

If you are using a USB hub, try to use it without the hub.
Please post technical questions on the forum, not by personal message. Thanks!

More info: http://www.gammon.com.au/electronics

bret75

hello all,

I got the same problem and observed that my computer had USB ports ver 1. I installed USB2.0 parts and it worked just fine... There seems to be a problem with USB1 ports.

hardmouse

I had exact same issue and have been searching around everywhere but no luck. They just conflict somehow. MEGA2560 works fine thou, just this UNO gets me crazy!!!!!

nickgammon

You can upload to the Mega but not the Uno? Do you change the board type in the IDE when you change boards?

karistouf

hi nick. we are quiet a few ones ( 4 or 5 ) here to have same troubles on certain of our computers. what is in common ( i know bret 75 personnaly so i can say this:)

to be very clear:

- this occures on computers having FTDII drivers installed in VCOM for Enttec DMX device
- this is not sketch relativ, its occuring on blinking.pde
- the UNO, or Duemillanove, or Mega are touched by this problem
- devices are well working on other computers with same set of installer (arduino, jre)
- please look at my very first post in this thread and consider we are not talking about error or something forgotten, but about a deep bug with windows

is there anybody around having any advice on how to solve this ?

nickgammon

driver software: is there one more recent than the one embedded inside arduino 0022 ?

Have you installed the FTDI drivers from here?

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

I don't personally think it is a "deep bug with Windows", much as I would like to agree that Windows has deep bugs. It is much more likely to be an incorrect driver, some corruption in the Registry, or some sort of conflict, possibly a hardware one.

Just as an example, in the past I have bought games which didn't start at all, or crashed. And I thought "how could they release this rubbish?". Then reading the support pages they say "make sure you have the latest video card drivers installed". And sure enough, in most cases at least, installing the correct/latest driver makes the problem go away.

karistouf

hi nick, yes we are using Ftdi d2xx driver for those two hardwares:
- http://www.enttec.com/index.php?main_menu=downloads&pn=70303&show=downloads&name=opendmxusb
- http://www.enttec.com/index.php?main_menu=downloads&pn=70304&show=downloads&name=dmxusbpro

It is much more likely to be an incorrect driver, some corruption in the Registry, or some sort of conflict, possibly a hardware one.

the non working arduino ( remember we are talking about UNO, duemillanova AND now  mega) let me think we speak :

1- of an arduino general driver problem for windows or a problem of clean on the registry ( despite numerous attempt to do it if you look at this thread carrefully)
2- there is no confusion of hardware has DMX devices are not plugged
3- an arduino will work on other computers but never on the ones its not working

It would be great to finally find an answer, and has this happens for me with an UNO on an XP, i m pretty sure this is a driver writting bug than anything. Would be great to find the perfect cleaner for registry from developpers, or any utility to fix this !

yours

nickgammon

2- there is no confusion of hardware has DMX devices are not plugged

Could you explain this point in greater detail? I didn't understand it.

karistouf

HI Nick ! you have told about hardware confusion inside windows:
Code: [Select]
or some sort of conflict, possibly a hardware one.
> its possible not the case, as there is no dmx device based on FTDII  plugged. Arduino is recognized as arduino in windows hardware list. recognized as arduino on its com port in arduino software.

nickgammon

Are you saying you have DMX devices that are not plugged in? Why mention them then?

Look, I support software that gets around 2000 downloads a month. About once a year (that is, 24000 downloads later) someone will post a message saying my software "has a bug" because it doesn't work properly. Well I think "what about the other 23999 users?". Perhaps it is a bug in their installation. A virus, or device drivers that are not working together properly.

And without having access to the hardware in question it is almost impossible to debug.

... despite numerous attempt to do it if you look at this thread carrefully ...

You can always re-install Windows. I have done that often enough. The time taken to do that could be less than the time taken to try to solve this.

Go Up