dataflash.* and the Microchip license

Continued from: https://forum.arduino.cc/t/how-to-use-atmel-dataflash-new-library-that-works/287670

From dataflash.h and dataflash.cpp:

//*****************************************************************************
//
// COPYRIGHT (c) ATMEL Norway, 1996-2001
//
// The copyright to the document(s) herein is the property of
// ATMEL Norway, Norway.
//
// The document(s) may be used and/or copied only with the written
// permission from ATMEL Norway or in accordance with the terms and
// conditions stipulated in the agreement/contract under which the
// document(s) have been supplied.
//
//*****************************************************************************

So posting this library to the Playground and the forum was a copyright violation, as reported here:

I don't understand the practice of component manufacturers not making the code and documentation that supports the use of their products freely available but it is what it is. I do think that in this world where so much is given freely it's important for us to respect intellectual property rights.

pert:
So posting this library to the Playground and the forum was a copyright violation...

I asked Atmel (Microchip) for clarification.

Did you ever get any response? I'm asking because it would be nice to close the issue report in the Arduino bug tracker.

I don't know. I'll see what I can dig up...

pert:
Did you ever get any response?

Nothing. Not even an acknowledgement the email was received.

The email address is correct.

I found this...
http://www.microchip.com/about-us/legal-information/copyright-usage-guidelines

...which includes this...

Microchip’s written permission is not required for personal use or educational (non-profit) use of copyrighted material.

Is Arduino non-profit?

(@pert, please reply even if it is just "got it" so I know you've read this: I'm going to split this thread.)

Thanks for looking into it! I really don't have strong feelings about this specific situation since it doesn't seem like anyone is harmed by this code being shared but someone reported it to the issue tracker and from time to time I try to go through the zombie issues to see if I can close any.

Arduino the company (Arduino AG) is for-profit. There was plans for a not-for-profit "Arduino Foundation" back in October 2016 (Two Arduinos become one | Arduino Blog) but I haven't heard much about it since.

pert:
I really don't have strong feelings about this specific situation since it doesn't seem like anyone is harmed by this code being shared...

Originally, Atmel used those files to collect contact information (give us your email address then we give you the files). At that time they would have been harmed by not being able to do that.

As far as I can tell, all the parts supported by that code are now obsolete and adesto controls some / most / all of replacements.

For what it's worth, adesto's license is Very Open Source. But I cannot find a replacement for dataflash.*.