Go Down

Topic: Which direction does current flow? (Read 4906 times) previous topic - next topic

Grumpy_Mike

It's entirely possible that what we take for "reality" is just something that was made up for us, to keep us entertained.
Well not so much entertained as allow us to survive and evolve in the world we find ourselves in.

And all Math and Science do is piece together the delusion.
No not at all. Maths is the way the universe can be described in a consistent and correct manner. There is nothing delusional about mathematics.

It is, when scientists talk like current "knowledge" is fact.
Scientists never do this only slack jawed journalists, politicians and pseudo scientists do this.

Facts that often become yesterday's can-you-believe-we-used-to-think-that?
This is a line that pseudo scientists use to justify their crackpot theories.

Southpark

Jun 10, 2018, 10:17 am Last Edit: Jun 10, 2018, 10:21 am by Southpark
Is it not suspect, that we are measuring the Universe with the same stuff the Universe is made of?  A bunch of atoms trying to work out what atoms are.  Kind of like a ruler trying to measure itself, or a glass of water trying to drink [or grok] itself.
It's not suspect if nobody actually knows how far we can go and what the universe has to offer. People are making measurements of quantities that people (ie. us) define(d). Many of these quantities and relations we came up with have certainly been useful .... it gave us internet and Arduino.

Yeah.... but we should take this to the general discussions area..... as it has gotten away from the OP's question.

ChrisTenone

pseudo scientists ...
Would that be those on retainer by Fox News or employed by a pharmaceutical development company?
What, I need to say something else too?

wvmarle

Would that be those on retainer by Fox News or employed by a pharmaceutical development company?
Those, plus all of those Donald Trump appoints to his "science" bodies - I heard something like the EPD has been ordered to produce research that proves that global warming is not caused by people... I've always been taught that the research comes first, and that the conclusion is a result of what has been found in the research...
Quality of answers is related to the quality of questions. Good questions will get good answers. Useless answers are a sign of a poor question.

ChrisTenone

ted

Thread name is about current not electrons, holes ....

ChrisTenone

Water current?

wvmarle

To be able to answer the question "in which direction does current flow" you first have to figure out what current actually IS.
Quality of answers is related to the quality of questions. Good questions will get good answers. Useless answers are a sign of a poor question.

ReverseEMF

Yeah.... but we should take this to the general discussions area..... as it has gotten away from the OP's question.
Yeah, the OP must be thinking "geeze, I'm sure glad I didn't ask something more complex, like how current flow relates to magnetism!"
"It's a big galaxy, Mr. Scott"

Please DON'T Private Message to me, what should be part of the Public Conversation -- especially if it's to correct a mistake, or contradict a statement!  Let it ALL hang out!!

ReverseEMF

Water current?
Context is the key, here.  Electronics related forum -- therefore we can assume electronics related question.

"It's a big galaxy, Mr. Scott"

Please DON'T Private Message to me, what should be part of the Public Conversation -- especially if it's to correct a mistake, or contradict a statement!  Let it ALL hang out!!

wvmarle

Then how about current in water vs. current in metals? Electric charge is transported very differently in the two media.

Johan_Ha

Is the speed of an electric signal the same in water and metal? Not very far from the speed of light? The electric current is not that different, is it? Water only has a much higher resistance and depends highly on how much stuff there is in water forming ions.

If you ask for help and write 'u' instead of 'you' because you think it's convenient, I will write 'no' instead of 'yes'. For same reasons.

ChrisTenone

Context is the key, here.  Electronics related forum -- therefore we can assume electronics related question.

Yeah, I know. I was reacting to the statement that this thread was about current, not electrons or holes. But electrical current is movement of electrons and holes. Electrons flow from negative towards positive charge, while holes flow in the opposite direction. Ya can't speak of current without mentioning electrons and holes, as they are the thing flowing.

GolamMostafa

Transfer of Electrical Energy is a reality. The transfer takes place via the movement of electrons in metals is a concept supported by mathematical reasoning, and it is studied in Electrical Engineering.

Electronic Engineering deals with the movement of electrons and holes in semiconductor.  Signal processing takes place via the On/OFF conditions of the transistors is a reality. These ON/OFF conditions of the transistors happen due to accumulation/removal of charges (due to electrons/holes) in the base region of a transistor is a concept established by rigorous mathematical reasoning.

Southpark

If they want to get into current and electron movement relationship in classical conductors, then they need to read up on electron scattering, where they'll encounter words like 'average', 'net' etc, and discussions on collisions, and 'electrons' moving in various directions in applied electric fields.

Go Up