Audio problem with DIY vario, please help.

Hi all,

I have built a DIY vario from french forum, and in has a audio problem.

Video shows how it should sound up to 0:43, then when encoder is turned to ascent, which is an adjustment for what climb rate beeps start, the sound no longer beeps as it should.

I built this a week or so ago and it has never beeped properly until this morning when I took video. When I turned vario off and on it would beep properly again. This worked for a few goes, now it is back to not beeping properly at all again.

I have replaced pro mini, and tried another speaker (built a whole new unit in fact) and no change. Everything else works exactly as it should, and my work is good. The original project uses a nano. Uses toneAC library.

Video

Github

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks
Davo

Please read and follow the directions in the "How to use this forum" post.

Post your code, using code tags, a hand drawn wiring diagram (not Fritzing) and links to any modules or devices connected to the Arduino.

jremington:
Please read and follow the directions in the "How to use this forum" post.

Post your code, using code tags, a hand drawn wiring diagram (not Fritzing) and links to any modules or devices connected to the Arduino.

It seems very silly to me to go to all that trouble when all that can very easily be found with a simple click on the github link in my first post.

Thanks any way.

You are welcome!

davo:
It seems very silly to me to go to all that trouble when all that can very easily be found with a simple click on the github link in my first post.

A schematic that is not a crap Fritzing physical layout on that page? I think not.

What is a vario anyway?

There is a French section of this forum if you want help with a project that you are only willing to post a link to a French explanation.

Grumpy_Mike:
A schematic that is not a crap Fritzing physical layout on that page? I think not.

What is a vario anyway?

There is a French section of this forum if you want help with a project that you are only willing to post a link to a French explanation.

Are you kidding me???????? WOW

Seriuously, that schematic could not be any easier to read.

What is a vario?????????? google it.

Ever heard of a translater. A simple right click. There is no english explanation. I only speak english, I had no issues at all, but I guess I know how to right click.

I hope not everyone in this forum is like you.

Have a nice day.

Have a nice life!

Seriuously, that schematic could not be any easier to read.

Seriously are you in any way shape or form an engineer? That diagram is a pile of crap when it comes to reading it.

Ever heard of a translater.

Yes I put in the word "variometer" into the French side of the translator and English word shown was "variometer" so it looks like even Goggle doesn't know what one is. The video was just some display making bleeps so nothing actually informative.

I hope not everyone in this forum is like you.

Well this is only a special attitude we reserve for people like you, who actually have shown, by their arrogance, that they are not deserving of help.

The video was just some display making bleeps so nothing actually informative.

Mike, I'm afraid that you missed the point. The bleeps weren't "proper" ;).

Maybe unfortunately I know what a variometer is. It measures the difference in altitude. For example, going up and at what speed or going down and at what speed. The beeping for a variometer is typically higher pitch when going up (I believe) and lower pitch when going down (if going up was the correct guess). The frequency is adjusted depending on the speed of climbing or descent. All of this is measured with a barometer.

Now that's explained, the author needs to specify it's not doing correctly. It seems that it's detecting that it's either ascending or descending a bit. Is that right? Who knows. And what's wrong with the beeping? What was the author expecting the beeping to be and what was it instead?

In any case, I believe what the author needs to do is to isolate the problem, as the problem isn't really outlined and the code has far too much going on for anyone to know how to fix the problem (when the problem hasn't been really explained at all).

I do believe I know what the problem is, however. The author has a timer conflict. He has a lot of different libraries included that I know use timers. My guess as that there's at least two of those libraries that are both trying to use the same timer, which will cause a total failure or just very odd results, like beeping that's "all wrong".

I would suggest to the author to simplify things to identify the problem. Remove all code associated with the display and output the information over serial. Or, at least look into which timer the display uses, the I2C interface uses, and the toneAC library uses. My guess is that there's a conflict with at least 2.

Tim

davo:
Video shows how it should sound up to 0:43, then when encoder is turned to ascent, which is an adjustment for what climb rate beeps start, the sound no longer beeps as it should.

quote Tim "(when the problem hasn't been really explained at all)." end quote

mmmmmmmmmmmm

Yeah, thanks guys. :slight_smile:

edit: Happy to let the audience ponder that one.
Or is it only my ears that hear the beep sound clip, get distorted, very eratic and
intermitent after 0:43? :slight_smile:

Grumpy_Mike:
Seriously are you in any way shape or form an engineer? That diagram is a pile of crap when it comes to reading it.
Yes I put in the word "variometer" into the French side of the translator and English word shown was "variometer" so it looks like even Goggle doesn't know what one is. The video was just some display making bleeps so nothing actually informative.
Well this is only a special attitude we reserve for people like you, who actually have shown, by their arrogance, that they are not deserving of help.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGliHtbIwTg

This is what I got when I googled variometer. :slight_smile:

Your kind of help I don't need :slight_smile:

quote Tim "I do believe I know what the problem is, however. The author has a timer conflict. He has a lot of different libraries included that I know use timers. My guess as that there's at least two of those libraries that are both trying to use the same timer, which will cause a total failure or just very odd results, like beeping that's "all wrong"." end quote

Much appreciated.

I will look into it.

Davo